Sign in to follow this  
stillwaiting

Son with severe autism putting things up nose.

Hi, I haven't posted on here for many years but after some advice from anyone out there if they've had any similar problems. My son is 11, severe autism, non verbal. We have an ongoing problem of him putting things up his nose. Its always the same nostril, and we are now onto 4th time since just November where he has had to go into hospital and get a general anaesthetic to remove them. Previous to that it was in March last year when he had 7 things removed at once. It seems that now its become routine, he is such a senosry child so must be getting something out of it. was just wondering if anyone had any silmiar experiences and if therir child just grew out of it. Any support would be appreciated thanks x

In the same way that when children put things in their mouth inappropriately, you can put something on them that tastes nasty (harmless), can you not put something on things so that they smell nasty?

In terms of getting him out of this habit, can you try and find something which is safe to put up his nose (ie, something that won't get stuck up there, although I'm not sure what) and when you catch him with the wrong thing, just take it from him, say no, or whatever you feel is best so he gets the message that it's wrong, but then hand him the thing he can do it with?

Just a thought, sorry that it's not super helpful.