Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Help at 17?

I've asked elsewhere but think my question has got misunderstood and really hope someone can help me.

I'm trying to find out what help I can access for my daughter age 17 and for myself as a carer.

I work full time and feel guilty I am not around for my daughter. It's also hard to 'switch off' and focus at work. My daughter has a diagnosis of AS and had input from CAMHS but we've been told she was discharged as she is doing her A levels in college, not school. I've seen our GP who said to wait for new referral elsewhere but heard nothing.

She can't cope with college and so is currently off sick. I've taken leave this week but we need a plan from here. College did offer counselling but in college where she can't go!

At 17 I wasn't able to be taken on by any of the support groups or anything. Apparently it's up until 16 you're a child and then from 18 you're an adult. I had to wait to turn 18 and then I got a bit of support from a local Adult Aspergers Group, who went on to lose funding anyway. I didn't find anything that would take me on at 17 unfortunately :(

Was this a typical mainstream college, and is that now no longer an option?

What subject was she studying and to what level.

At that age like willow-tree explained wonderfully! You fall between the cracks of support services esp MH services it is uncomfortable and awakard age to be at causes much frustration ,general emotional distress and upset! ;( I can empathise with how it can be as I've been in your daughter's position I have MH issues!!! XKLX

She is at mainstream college doing A levels in English Lang and Lit and History but she doesn't feel able to go in. It feels like once she got to 16 everyone's abandoned her!