Sign in to follow this  
windylou

Applying for a statement

Hello, I am just in the process of writing the letter to apply for a statement for my 8 yr old son (aspergers). What information should I send with it, if any? Any previous reports (done in school) pin pointing his difficulties within the school enviroment? his diagnosis report? or should I make a note of what difficulties he has at home and then state how these would affect him at school? I have quite a bit of information already supplied by the school for the assessment before my son was diagnosed.

Also, is it possible that a school could apply for a statement without my knowledge?

You can phone the LA to ask. In our case I sent in a request for them to assess my son for a Statement, and they sent me a form to complete. I sent in alot of additional information on top of the form.

The school can ask the LA to assess, but you should be aware of it.

You don't need the school, or any other professional to agree with you before you ask the LA to assess.

Often Local Authorities refuse to assess for a Statement because they say there are no grounds for the assessment to take place. Or they may gather evidence and then make their decision that the child does not need a Statement.

In both cases you need to appeal that decision because LAs often use this refusal as a way of weeding out those parents who are not prepared to take it to an appeal.

Ideally you need your child to be on School Action plus and to have had two IEPs. A diagnosis also helps.

It would be extremely unusual for the school to apply for a statement without your knowledge. If anyone applies for an assessment, with or without your knowledge, the LA will immediately write to you and ask for your comments.

If you are seeking assessment then it is much better for you to ask rather than for the school to ask on your behalf. Partly because school will always drag their feet on this and partly because the responsiblity of the LA is different if the parent applies.

The NAS site contains all you need to know about applying, and they provide a template letter on their site here:

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/education-and-transition/primary-and-secondary-school/extra-help-for-your-child-in-school/extra-help-in-school-england-and-wales/statutory-assessment-england-wales.aspx

You might as well send that off today. Then the clock starts ticking.

Note that whatever you do there is a very strong chance that the LA will refuse your first request.

Shortly after you, and school, will be asked for your comments. At this stage you need to provide evidence that he has special educational needs, and that they are not being met, and cannot be met, by the resources available to school (i.e. on School action plus). You need to read the SEN Code of Practice and read up about the areas which they should consider when considering whether to assess. You need to show that he is failing in some of those areas - e.g. not performing at the expected level, falling behind his peers and so on.

For an aspergers child it can be quite difficult because superficially they can be doing adequately academically - you need to bring out the anxiety and stress elements but those are not likely to get a sympathetic response.

Hello.

I am not sure what your LA is like but here in the East with ours I have heard that declining first statutory assessment requests are a lot more common than granting them - leading to delays whilst parents appeal which then drags on. That was not my experience but I did get heads up on this beforehand. What I would say is make sure you have a LOT of evidence including commissioning professionals yourselves and not to trust Local Authority ones as some have been very vague. We sent in a lot of evidence including written work, evidence of potential harm to physical self and learning, and child's views. Our SENCO at our son's first school (totally clueless and not willing when it comes to ASD) that they spent an age 'gathering evidence' - most of which when it came to Statutory Assessment was provided by us anyway. We decided enough was enough and did the Request for Statutory Assessment quoted our rights and specified clearly the reasons why we felt our son should have Statutory Assessment. The SENCO wasn't happy that we did it without her but she was useless anyway and we have done far better job. When it came to her 'contribution' it wasn't much good but just highlighted their lack of understanding and by describing things they did, it helped. You do not need to wait for your SENCO but it is a good idea to be seen to be working with them/together but tell them why you feel you cannot wait. If you feel your SENCO is not doing the job or not helpful school then those alarm bells should start ringing... you need a good SENCO and head who you can work in partnership with. ASD knowledge and training should be there - ask about that from your SENCO too and see what they say.

The need to provide your own evidence we found essential for Statutory Assessment and also tribunal and to keep that updated. We have made sacrifices in order to fund these reports etc, witnesses etc but worth it as it ultimately has led to better statement for our son.

Do what you need to do as a parent but do your best to work with professionals and if not doing the job.....