Sign in to follow this  
bjkmummy

LA referral to SALT post tribunal win - not sure what to do

Had my tribunal in feb 2013 which we won an independent asd school placement. We are still awaiting for him to start as he needs a long transition due to being out of school now for such a long time.

During the tribunal process we got an independent salt report. He hadn't been since for about 5 years. No salt report was obtained when he underwent statutory assessment. Our report said he had a dealy in his expressive language and other issues consistent with his asd ex. It recommended salt 45 mins a week plus a social communication programme. Report served on LA in good time for tribunal, we then at the last minute changed our school choice nd the LA then tried to use our salt report to get an adjournment. The tribunal said no, they had had enough time to get one if they wanted one and if they wanted to they could send my report to the nhs for comment.

The LA did this and the nhs replied they couldn't comment as they didn't know our son. A few days after the tribunal the LA sent to me a referral for the nhs salt, the referral was awful stating that no one else had ever commented our son had salt needs. They accepted likely the tribu al would rule salt needed into the statement so report from nhs salt needed. We then won the tribunal and the salt was in the statement.

The independent school have in house salt so it's part of the cost of the placement. The salt has already met him and has already indicated that the report we have is accurate etc and they will start a salt programme ASAP.

Last week a got a letter from the nhs salt for an appointment in may - the appointment is at a children's centre and is just a generic salt appointment. It's not clear that she has any experience with asd kids. I don't want to take him as it means a whole day of school for him and nothing she is going to be able to offer will be as good as what he is getting at school now. However as the referral has been done by the LA I now don't know whether i should or if they could use my non compliance against me. I spoke to the new school and they feel that it would not be good for him to have a day off school when he's been out for nearly ahead and they are trying to do transition with him and for someone else to be seeing him when he has huge anxiety issues. The report this salt does will be so basic etc and will I guess be used to possible try and reduce any future salt input. I know I am battle weary from the tribunal and will never ever trust my LA again after everything we have been through but find myself unsure what to do for the best

I don't see any point in going. The tribunal is over so there is no need for it in relation to that, and any report done now is going to be of very limited value by the next time you need a review. Since there are no on-going proceedings it can't possibly be held against you if you don't comply.

Why not just talk to the LA and ask what they are trying to achieve and tell them that you don't want to put him through that without good reason.

No I would not speak to the LA at all. The Tribunal is over. Your choice of school has SALT. You don't need the NHS anymore. Don't bring it to the LA's attention. I don't think you are doing anything wrong by cancelling the appointment. It is simply logical for your son to have SALT input from the most appropriate professional, which is the SALT employed and on site at the school.