POLA BEAR

Hello back again!!

:notworthy: Hello back again! Haven't been on since over a year ago. Let me introduce us!!! Me I'm Chris a Registered Learning Disability and Psychiatric Nurse, and Matt ( my partner) has Aspergers. Moved from Glasgow back to England ( work commitments). Looking forward to meeting old and new friends. We live in Upwell area, nr Wisbech, Norfolk. Looking for anyone who has accessed any employment services for persons with Apsergers, ( Matt needs a job).

Look forward to hearing from you out there, ' calling occupants of interplanatery craft'.........................

Hello Pola Bear. Welcome back :)

Hello Pola Bear and welcome back.

Hi Polar Bear. I have Asperger's and currently doing Work Choice which is aimed at disabled people (though I'm doing it through a local Autism charity, so a bit different from the mainstream Work Choice) - so that's something for him to consider doing. its accessed through a Disability Employment Advisor at your local jobcentre. They help with job searching/applying, CV writing, interview practice, and can arrange work trials and voluntary placements.

Hi polar bear, good to have you back on here again. :-)

Hi Polar Bear. I have Asperger's and currently doing Work Choice which is aimed at disabled people (though I'm doing it through a local Autism charity, so a bit different from the mainstream Work Choice) - so that's something for him to consider doing. its accessed through a Disability Employment Advisor at your local jobcentre. They help with job searching/applying, CV writing, interview practice, and can arrange work trials and voluntary placements.

:notworthy: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the Disability Employment Advisor in Wisbech Job Centre Plus, doesn't offer that service at all, as few jobs for NT's let alone persons with Aspergers. I have written upon behalf of Matt to Large Employers ( supermarkets etc) hoping as they advertise disability employment rights, they may offer him some chance of work. It's a long and tiring process, we had two years of this in Glasgow and still nothing is changed. Hopefully someone out there may help, have a contact with an Asperger employment support agency so things may change!!

Thank you, :)

Hi polar bear, good to have you back on here again. :-)

Thank you :)

Hello Pola Bear and welcome back.

I guess it depends on

:notworthy: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the Disability Employment Advisor in Wisbech Job Centre Plus, doesn't offer that service at all, as few jobs for NT's let alone persons with Aspergers. I have written upon behalf of Matt to Large Employers ( supermarkets etc) hoping as they advertise disability employment rights, they may offer him some chance of work. It's a long and tiring process, we had two years of this in Glasgow and still nothing is changed. Hopefully someone out there may help, have a contact with an Asperger employment support agency so things may change!!

Thats a shame, I guess they need enough candidates to make the Work Choice scheme viable in your area. Your DEA should provide some support, but if they don't know Aspergers that won't help - explain to them his positive and negative traits. Its a shame Asperger employment is so thin on the ground, and localised, there should be some national support - but sadly with this government I don't foresee any improvement. You are doing the right thing by contacting local companies and trying to seek work that way - with Aspergers you have to accept its going to be more difficult than the average person, but he needs to be positive and put in the work, big-up his positive traits - make yourself look more attractive than the average worker (eg. more productive due to less chatter). Another thing to try is volunteering, if you haven't already considered this - its a good way to build up confidence and experience, and looks good on a CV. Its not easy, and you need to be motivated, but its worth him putting in the effort as it will lead to something eventually - he needs to keep his options open, and remain positive.

There's something you might be interested in that's based in Ipswich, Suffolk. This is called "Autism Success Formula" and can be found at: http://www.autismsuccessformula.co.uk

I've begun to participate in this and it really does look promising from here.

Anyway, you can contact me about whatever you like, whenever you like.

Kind Regards

Gareth.