Dijac

Concert Success story

Hi,

About a year ago I asked for advice about taking my son to a concert - he'd asked to go, but when we sat down to book, he'd decided he couldn't manage it.

This February he asked if we could try again - he wanted to see Lana Del Rey. So we booked. He was pretty stressed at times, and I learnt a few things, but we went to the concert, and he said after that he would go again.

As suggested to me, I'd booked seats - he would never have managed to stand in the crowd at the front. However, we did still have to wait for about an hour in a big queue/ crowded huddle (I live in France, and the French don't queue!!) - this was pretty stressful, and he nearly bolted when he saw he'd have to be patted down by security! Once we got inside, things were much better. I had seen a note about calling in advance if you have a disability, and I thought this would probably be just for parking and access, but I asked someone once inside and they said another time I should call, and maybe he could go in a different door.

It was free seating though, with no assigned seats, so he had been very worried that we wouldn't be able to sit together. Luckily though, it wasn't at all a fullhouse, so we had a lot of choice. We choose side seats, so we could escape quickly if need be. I'd told him throughout that it was an experiment, so if he wnated to leave we could.

Another error I made was I let him get over hungry - So next time I will make sure I take somthing with us.

A good thing we did do, was to leave when she said she was on the last song - that way, there was fighting to get out of the building/parking etc.

During the queuing part he said he'd never some again, but this morning he said he would if we could call and arrange something. He even said maybe we should have sat a 'bit' closer to the stage. This to me is a success - he does like music and as he gets older (he's 13 now) I could imagine he'd want to go more.

He had a couple of things last year he couldn't manage, (a concert and a school trip), so I just thought I'd share that with planning and increasing maturity, he can learn to overcome some of the difficulties.

Diane

WTG ace well done for managing this, I like her music.

Hi Selsey,

We saw Will's psychiatrist the other day and he is arranging for him to have a disability card, so then we won't have to queue so long next time.

We are coming over to UK this weekend - Will hates flying - so lots of planning, and prep needed. I am dreading it. And let's hope his i pod doesn't run out of battery!!

Diane

4 years ago we did the flying thing, using social stories of pictures of the plane and all about the queing for checking in and queing for security checks and the procedures on the plane. On take off he went whoosh!.he was a bit anxious on landing, but he thoroughly enjoyed the flying and keeps asking, when can we do it again. What part of the flying does yours dislike. Maybe you could get in touch with the airport/airline for a pre flight visit and preapartion time.

Hi,

He is very used to flying - we lived in US till he was 4y.o.. When he was about 3 he started getting sick, often on landing - this is the bit he hates most. We then had a spell when he was sick on every car journey, train journey etc - and especially on a bus. He has grown out of it to an extent now, but we've had a couple of bumpy flights in the past, and this is what he dreads and gets anxious about.

Luckily, this trip, we had no problems - very smooth flights - even ending in him asking - 'Are we there already?'