Sophia Catherine

Sophia saying hi

Hello. I'm Sophia. Well, that's my internet name - 'IRL' I go by Naomi - call me either! :)

I am currently going through the whole process of diagnosis, even though I'm 34. I was diagnosed as dyspraxic many years ago, suspected other things too, but couldn't persuade GPs to refer me for testing. I finally realised I couldn't cope anymore, and insisted, even though my GP thought it was unlikely. The psychiatrist I've seen thinks it's very likely that I have Aspegers (gave me questionnaires and a two-hour appointment to explain things, and so on), but I have to go back for one more appointment for a few more tests and things. That will be at the end of this month. I'm very relieved to be closer to understanding what goes on in my head and in my life. I've had lots of diagnoses in my life, from bipolar to OCD, but I think they were all probably wrong. I've been reading about Asperger's and I'm so relieved to find information about what's going on. I'm also physically disabled - I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which affects my walking (sometimes use a wheelchair, sometimes crutches). The combination of everything means that I'm really, really tired and stressed, a lot of the time. I'm hoping to be able to learn more about Asperger's and work out ways of coping better with life.

I'm doing a PhD in sociology, religion and disability studies. I also do a little bit of part-time lecturing and some social media work. I'm a Pagan and find religion absoutely fascinating, so reading about that is my main interest, but I also like cult TV and sci-fi, getting out in nature where it's quiet, painting and singing, and my three cats. And internet forums. Love those. So this place is nice! Good to meet you all :)

Hi Sopia/Naomi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for telling us a little bit about yourself :)

Thanks for the kind welcomes!

hi and welcome

im also a wheelchair user due to my eds and im about the same age.

ive got limited internet until the 23rd April

Oh & I wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, not sure if I was 34 or 35! There'll be plenty of others who didn't get diagnosed until later in life that that, too.

That's encouraging, BruceCM - glad to know it's not just me that's getting a late diagnosis.

And, interesting to meet another person with EDS, trekster - good to meet you.

That's encouraging, BruceCM - glad to know it's not just me that's getting a late diagnosis.

And, interesting to meet another person with EDS, trekster - good to meet you.

Cheers there are a few of us around. Theres a thread in the related conditions section of the boards about EDS.