Sign in to follow this  
nysnanna

Transition to new school - let down.

After a lot of heartache, appeals and hard work,eventually our Grandson was offered a place at LA school for ASD. We were happy with the school and Grandson was ok with but not overly enthusiastic. We sold him the positivesand he began to feel quite motivated. Placement is to begin September.

We repeatedly have said he needs good transition, everyone working with him agree. He visited in March, statement was finalised April 4th and as time goes by he thinks of more reasons not to go there.

We informed everyone that I am away first 2 weeks of July and his Mother and school always struggle with him if I am not around, I have always been the one to collect him and take him to school.

We've now been told that the transition will begin first week of July, when I am away. This is unlikely to happen as he is very unlikely to go somewhere new when he is struggling to cope with change in routine. No visits or anything before then. Apparently head teacher does not want any disruption at all to those pupils already there and taking GCSEs, and although I can understand this, it does not help our Grandson. I am so worried that after years of hard work to get here it is all jeopardised because of poor transition.

I think that is a very poor attitude from the head. Is this a maintained school or an independent? They should be prioritising your grandson's needs. Yes there may be a need to balance this against the needs of others, but why and how are a few short visits causing this fuss? It does show some inflexibility.

If this is the school you want him to go to, I would try to keep constructive. Write and acknowledge the need not to upset other pupils but say that you are keen for the start to school to be positive and as you are his main support and are not there, ask for alternatives and say you are prepared to fit in with whatever suits.

It maybe that they are not taking your advice primarily, because you are grandparents?

I would ask for a meeting in school, with his mum also, and the Head/SENCO and Therapy Team.

Discuss and work out the graduated return with them. I don't see why they would want to lose the fees, that will be substantial, and they should be putting together a programme to meet his needs.

My son started at his school on just 2 afternoons a week, which was with the therapists only ie. SALT and OT. And he was gradually introduced to class members via the therapy, and his time increased a half day at a time.

But I think a meeting in school with everyone would be useful, because the phased return has to work otherwise he will just continue to refuse, as he has done up till now.