Lolly123

Worried mum

This is my story so far:

Nursery

From when he first stared nursery i had my concerns, as he didn’t really interact with other children, he would just float about doing his own think, and if anyone tried taken something off him that he was playing with, he would throw the biggest tantrum, he would be over obsessed with what he was playing with , in the end the nursery teachers got him a little pouch to put 3 small toys in that he could carry around with him just to keep him calm, because the tantrum wasn’t like a spoilt kid,, he was deeply upset and traumatized. He didn’t like to do anything on paper or practice writing he just loved to build and would sit there all day building, However he could read, he just loved words it’s almost like he taught himself and the teachers could not understand as her was only 3,

His first book that he asked me to buy him was the Highway Code book, as he loved signs, when traveling he would read the road signs and tell you were to go, if you needed to turn right or left, this all at the age of 3, He would draw maps over and over again, different routes to different places, I’ve got endless amounts of paper with numbers wrote on them and maps etc, where he would sit for hours , Watching him play he seemed clumsy around the other children, he would come right up to their faces to talk to them, for a period of time he talked in a high pitched tone,

Infants

When he started Infants an at his first parents evening, that’s when i first ever heard the name Asperger. The teacher told me that they had been observing my son, and that he was showing signs of it, An dure in Pe lessons he stuck out like a sore thumb (in a good way) They told me that they had put him forward to be put on the gifted register with the government because of his reading and math’s skills however they were worried about him socially and was put on the special needs list at the school, but was taken off the next term.

Now age 6 my concerns are growing, he’s compleatly obsessed with dates and numbers, he will sit looking at a calendar, He talks and talks and talks, not letting anyone get a word in, He will sit and put his toys into rows, lining each one up precisely, Does not like loud noisy or busy classrooms. Still does not understand social cues, gets very upset over the smallest things, if something’s missing or something’s out of place or can’t find what he’s looking for the traumatized tantrums begin and has started getting angry when things don’t work, when he talks his eyes goes to the side doesn’t really make eye contact with you when talking, repeats himself constantly, and when he’s excited about doing something he clenches his fists, and waves his arms about, All this may seem just like a typical child at his age, and I’m worrying over nothing????, but I’ve left it nearly 2 years thinking it will just fizzle out but my concerns are still there. i sit there as a mother watching him trying to interact with others it’s just frustrating and I get upset as others don’t really want to play with him, He’s MY son and he’s fantastic in every way, I made the decision today to make an appointment with the doctor, Asperger or not i want to be able to give him the support he needs,in the 10 minutes appointment i told the doctor my concerns and he said my son does NOT have it but is still referring me to a child advisor.

Am i just over reacting???????, cos thats how the doctor made me feel, His answer to all this was to put my child into a private school!!!

Sorry for the essay :(

Hi Lolly and welcome,

It sounds like you have some very real and legitimate concerns. What happened after the infants teacher suggested Asperger's, was he referred for an assessment at that time? I think it's good that you have a referral now, even if it is to put your mind at rest. Did you mention to your GP that his teachers had suspected Asperger's when he was younger?

Between now and your first assessment appointment, make sure that you jot down all your worries as they pop into your head to take along to the appointment. That way you won't forget anything you want to raise.

Hope you don't have to wait too long.

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Hi no I do not think you are over reacting it does sound to me that your son may have aspergers or asd by what you are describing that he does/likes. I am very disappointed to hear your doctor was unsympathetic to what you told him but I'm glad you have been referred to a child advisor, I hope that goes well. Like Mel said write down all your concerns before you go so you are well prepared.

Thank you both for you replys :) :

Yes i did mention it to the doctor, but it didnt seem to make a differnce, he sought of glanced at my son and made his mind up.

After the teacher metioned it they said they were going to do some more studing over it, You see it was the head at the time that had noted it 2 the teacher,, and she was investigating it more but then she left, and it was never passed onto his next teacher, as at his second parents evening as we were talking i mentioned to him there findings in reception, yet he had no records of it in his pass on files.

Will start making notes,

Whatever the outcome , I want to give my son the best support i can, as its not an easy world to grow up in these days.

Hi Lolly I agree it certainly isn't an easy world to grow up in these days. I do find with teachers you have to keep telling them, as teachers leave etc or your child goes into another class with a different teacher so you do need to keep repeating yourself otherwise the information just doesn't seem to be passed on.

council for disabled children has a campaign called 'every disabled child matters' which might help you .

Welcome and well done for pushing hard for your child.

from what you've explained ,listed in your post about your son all issues /worries and concerns seems to go in high possiblity direction of ASD so i would say you have done right decision in booking doctor's appointment to discuss further these issues that been surfacing forever now and say how much bothering you as the list being added to all time!

keep pushing forward! from what you've mentioned already this would justify in my personal opinion a serious investigation /assessment further into ASD! i would say heading in right direction as the issues you have listed are main ASD issues lack of looking people in the eye (eye contact) , sensory issues (loud ,sudden noises) obsessions with highway code etc lack of social interaction,lacking personal space ,repeating himself and you have 'right' as his mum on his behalf to have these issues addressed /investigated further as been ongoing ,growing issues that long-term and will continue to grow even more if not checked out! the sooner have looked into better true outcome of his future and progress will be set on!

i would INSIST on seeing different doctor and asking for SECOND OPINION! -GOOD LUCK!

XKLX