robert7111a

Hyperlexia and reading comprehension skills

Evening all

Having worked through further "life discoveries" of late, I have found a name for my fascination with numbers and poor comprehension - (but I know I am dyscalculic which is completely separate from my fascination with train/bus numbers during the 1980s).

I never realised until recently that improving social skills plays a big part in improving reading comprehension.

I really don't "get" literature, I can't make inferences etc.

Any ideas for improving reading comprehension apart from improving social skills...?

Might sound weird, but start with children's literature: there, the contextes and relationships as well as the plot are quiet obvious, so for a start I'd look there.

Btw: my "reading age" at age 30 was just ok for the Harry Potter novels, which aim at a certain age group, too. (With the help of red-hen's commentaries.)

I don't know if one of the new Kindles would be useful at all. They have text to word, for those who have difficulties reading, I don't know if they have other things like a dictionary, or commentaries about the book you are reading.

I think it can help with comprehension by allowing you to easily re-read about a certain character to refresh your mind about what they have said or done.