Annea

Social work referral

Can I ask,

I mentioned my 15 yr old with asd recently that she had been self harming. I too have a chronic illness and am a little unstable in my illness presently so I have asked for a social work assessment for my daughter.

She had a social worker before but was discharged without them telling us Bd when I complained it was all brushed under the carpet . Being unwell I just re referred her. The social worker came but to be honest my daughter was not complia t and be aide of her communication difficulties I ended up answering most questions.

Today I got N email from social worker to say that to proceed with referral they want to I terview my daughter on her own to see her side of the story .

I have told her this and explained to just answer their questions but adamantly refuse to meet with them . I feel they do not believe me and are trying to get a different story from her so they can brush it away .

I have been told in the past that she can use me as her advocate as long as she is happy which she openly says she is, in fact whenever we are anywhere she often asks ne to answer questions for her as ah wont answer directly. I have never lied or abused this trust she has.

So I have emailed social services back and asks why they wish to speak with her alone and M waiting a reply but Ann wondering where we stand. If I force her to meet with this woman I know she will either ignore her or walk out but it will also cause great stress which is a huge thing wih her right now and not something I am happy putting her through. She never went through this last time so not sure why now!

Can anyone Advise me of her and my rights?

Thanks

Are there any other professionals involved? Any Clinical Psychologist or CAHMS?

What do you want to achieve via Social Services?

Would your daughter be happy to write it down?

Have you had to go to the GP or anything after she has self harmed?

Ok, I have a paediatrician involved in her care who has asked Cahms to get on board but the waitiing list is about 1-2yrs.

Our social services offer a buddy system where she can have someone who she can get to know (usually an older teen or young adult) they take the kids bowling / cinema etc etc Because I am often ill (I have an illness that is deteriorating and often I have to spend prolonged amount of time in bed) She needs to get out of the house. There has been many a time when I have been rushed in hospital and even now social services know my children are home alone, they have shrugged as they have no one to come in and watch them or make sure they are ok. Yes my GP knows about the self harm and has also written to CAHMS.

I am just so tired of fighting the system.... Took me a long time to swallow my pride and admit I needed help only to be told tough!

:(

Edited to add, my daughter wont write it down, she just can't identify her needs in that way

Edited by Annea

will she tape record herself saying her needs into a dictaphone? Or better still record herself saying 'i (name) give permission for my mum (name) to speak on my behalf'?

i suggested someone do this with their daughter who cannot talk on the phone, record them saying 'my mum is authorised to speak on my behalf'. As the person in question couldnt even give permission live.

When the social was here twice, she asked her if she was happy for me to speak and beth nodded and at times beth actually told me to answer the questions so they know that.

They are just wasting time

Has a Social worker carried out a Core Assessment of your daughter and have you completed a carers assessment?

Does her current school have boarding facilities?

If you haven't had a report completed by SS, I would write to the Head of the Social Services Childrens Department and ask for one. Detail the self harm, your health, that she is vulnerable and due to your ill health has been left on her own. Ask for a response within 14 days. If you get nothing lodge a complaint with the complaints department at your local authority. Remember that SS are paid by the Local Authority, they are Local Authority employees. If you get no joy from the complaints person, lodge a complaint with the LGO [Local Governments Ombudsman].

The above process is what I did and my son gets one night sleep over in his school. I am in the process or asking for that to be increased to 2 nights.

SS may say that they only have respite for children with moderate/severe learning disabilities. That is illegal. They have to identify and meet needs. So just forward any such letter onto the LGO.

If her current school does not have boarding facilities, this maybe an opportunity to seek an independent ASD placement where she could be full time residential, or weekly residential coming home at weekends.

And I would include in the letter that as she has an ASD, is self harming and is vulnerable and due to their lack of support/services is being left on her own whilst you are in hospital, that that would be negligence on their part, as you have informed them and they have done nothing.