I agree trekster. I think that those children diagnosed Aspergers were automatically assumed to be more capable, when many needed alot more support and therapy than they received. Whilst those diagnosed with an ASD may have been accepted as being less able, when that might not be the case.

Even those diagnosed with Aspergers do have problems with literal interpretation of language and problems with social communication - so starting to talk at the right age is not really indicative of a persons speech and language and social communication difficulties.

My son was diagnosed ASD. The Paediatrician did talk about Aspergers, but because it was obvious that he had speech and language difficulties we all agreed ASD was the right diagnosis.

However, I do see that even the current diagnosis of everyone being ASD or ASC is still not really helping if each child is not assessed to see where their strengths and weaknesses are. And that always boils down to funding issues around the cost of assessing from a variety of professionals.