marjoram

New here and feeling a bit down

Hi all

I'm new here and not sure what to say. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago, in middle age. I work and find it incredibly stressful, but it seems to be a treadmill that I cannot get off, even if I wanted to. I go to the GP for stress and am prescribed anti depressants - they don't stop my depression, just work as sedatives, so I won't take them. GPs in this region won't acknowledge that AS causes problems such as stress and sleeplessness. If they can't drug it or cut it out, they aren't interested. But it's 1am and my heart won't stop racing.

One day I hope to retire and spend some time catching up with who I am, because I haven't had the headspace to really do that yet. I'm off on holiday next week and I'm hoping some warmth and colours will raise my mood. England has been grey and joyless for so long now that my very bones feel cold. I promise the next posting won't be so down - I am only like this on bad days.

Hello, and welcome to the world of asperger`s !!

I was also diagnosed later in life- four years ago and I`m now 51.

I know just what you mean about work, stress, depression being more of a sedative. I have the same relationship with doctors not really understanding and the anti depressants, they just make me sleep so I don`t take them. I think as we get older- or have more experiences we learn from them and how to handle situations better, or at least thats what I have done. I had one job 8 years ago and it was a nightmare, well the staff i was managing were a nightmare. I really didn`t get on well with that job but now I have a similar post and I am getting along much better, having had similar issues raised as the other job I am handling things better. I don`t worry myself sick now about what the staff think, i know that I will never please everyone and that that is not my job to keep people happy. Basically I do over and above my role as a manager and hope that staff will follow that lead. If there are are problems, and there are on many days, i follow the policy and procedure of the company, I talk to staff, i offer support etc. but I make a real effort not take my concerns home with me. I know its not easy but i don`t want to end up being off with stress again. Over to you... try to find ways of dealing with the stress at work and out of work.

I also walk my dogs alot ! When i`m walking I seem to go over the things that are causing me stress and see if there is anything I can do about them. Money and paying bills I find stressful but I have a plan and keep paying bits off every month, so that helps with them.

I was thinking about trying meditation, that might be helpful in getting the problems out of my head...?

The grey and joyless part- even here in Scotland is sad looking, although the plants are starting to grow and soon the flowers will be bursting out. I know what you mean about the cold too...

You may have seasonal affective disorder ? My older son is sure that I have it as the grey days really get me down. Again, i think its looking at some strategies for dealing with these.

I hope you have a good holiday.

Hi marjoram, a big welcome to this forum. Sorry to hear of how you are feeling. It seems you have a lot in common with

allyd. I hope you have a nice holiday it will be nice to have a break for your daily routine.

Hello welcome to the forum

Depression is common with ASD whether it be reactive to the diagnosis or from something else. I find b50s, avoiding gluten and 5htp helps with mine. If yours is anxiety based then taurine can help. My heart racing could be due to my undiagnosed autonomic issues associated with my EDS.

Hi again,

How lovely to visit a forum where members respond in such a friendly and positive way - it's a first for me and I really appreciate it. I'm going to look into 5HTP - I'd never heard of it before.

I know I'm fortunate that I can work, but I wonder how much the constant stress is shortening my life. Has anyone been prescribed beta-blockers for stress? I was wondering whether to ask for some, I hate drugs, but it's a vicious circle - I get stressed then I get anxious about how stressed I am. I often wish I could just stop working, but I've proved myself capable so I'd just be seen as a skiver. I don't think anyone with an ASD who can't work is skiving, because I know others who are affected in an even worse way. I'm one of those who always responds before I realise I'm being got at, so get pushed around over and over again.

Looking forward to laying on a beach for two weeks and letting the sun do its biz.

Hi again majoram, my husband was prescribed beta-blockers for stress, so it might be a good idea for you to discuss this with your G.P.

I'm sure your holiday in the sun will help to distress you also. :D