LS2242

Aspergers and tics

Hello

My son was diagnosed three years ago with aspergers and motor tics. The tics have been around for years (eye blinking and mouth stretching mainly - they change in severity and frequency. He is not bothered by these and gets on with day to day life. Recently as in the past few weeks he has began what we suspect to be vocal tics. We are not certain if these are tics or just him randomly coming out with something. So my question is whilst we are waiting for a cahms appointment to come though as parents how do we know if they are vocal tics or not. Is there anything that would give us a clue.

Edited by LS2242

Hi I have autism and when get in severe anxiety i can tic and that people cannot understand what i am trying to say. The tic would get in the way of the word i am trying to say with the movements.

Does he say the same thing each time? Does he make strange movements when he says something suspicious of tic behaviour?

Hi

Thanks for your replies. He doesn't say the same things each time. But the same few things for example so far we have heard numerous times (a word I think it is supposed to be) that sounds between a chicken and a cockerel. Bog is another word he says frequently (not a word we use ) sat having tea randomly shouted potato although we where talking about as a family something not related to food.

He has only ever had facial tics and no other body movements. I haven't looked if he had his facial tics at the same time as saying something as we have tried not to draw attention to it. When he says something it is in a higher pitch to his normal voice sometimes although not all the time and he seems to shout it.

Just to add the first time I heard him say 'bog' I thought he was being rude so asked why he said this and his reply was that he always says it and that he doesnt know why. This is what raised our suspicions. When he said the word again the next day I asked him to stop saying it as I didn't think it was a nice word and he he just said he likes it. Also when he shouted potato in a higher pitched voice he noticed what he had done and then started with banana, cherry etc. we felt he was trying to disguise what he had done in the first place and make it look like he meant to say it.

Hope this helps

Our son (9) sometimes seems to have the compulsion to repeat words/sentences/lines from songs over and over again; sometimes he just hums.

Seems to be echolalia, even when there's some delay between hearing it and repeating it.

When you next have an appointment bring this up and ask if it maybe tourettes. Then the paediatrician can either rule it in or out.