Sign in to follow this  
windylou

My son said he can't stop telling himself stories

Just that really...my son is 8 recently diagnosed with Asperger's. He said he gets distracted because he can't stop telling himself stories (his own words), he does tend to talk under his breath and I can never quite hear what he is saying so now I'm guessing this is what he is doing. Does anyone elses child mention/do this?

Ask him if he has seen these "stories" on TV. Maybe he is repeated TV dialogue or phrases from his favourite TV programmes or films. I know my son does this all the time.

My son can make up some stories himself. But often there are still elements he has taken from TV and woven into his story.

So I usually ask him what it is about. Then ask him if he has seen that on TV or if it is his own idea.

Our 9-year-old doesn't have access to our TV. His stories involve things he has seen in RL, atm everything he tells about is just way bigger than in RL (e.g. a triple-decker bus).

I have done this all my life....(a long time!)......usually imagining a potential scenario that may or may not happen..... I talk to myself continually as I work it all out in my head....and can start pacing and gesticulating in relation to what is going on in my head too. This was one of the things that led me to seek help, as I thought it might have been some sort of psychosis............but it was explained to me that what I am actually doing is either rehearsing or re-enacting various scenarios to help cope with social situations...many of them fictional though...and now that I know this , it seems obvious, and when I find myself doing it now.....which is virtually constantly....I only worry about it when it is a situation that I know is unlikely to occur.....it is anxiety basically. I have to do it ......but stop myself when I realise it is a situation that is unlikely to happen.

Understanding what is happening has taken a huge worry of my mind!

Hope this may help,

Samantha

My son does the same.

Just a couple of days ago I asked him if he knew he was talking out loud. He said he had 'noticed' this, and that he could not stop himself doing it. He said that he speaks what he is thinking [which is often repeated verbatim from films/TV, or phrases he has found he wants to repeat to remember them, so that he can use them in future conversations.

I do this too.

just last week I started talking to myself in bed. My wife looks over says "who are you talking to?"

I have had times where I can have my mood affected by my own fantasies running away in my head.

I've heard a complain that someone at her workplace constantly externalising own inner-dialogue distracting others. It's not me!

The only person who'd listen mine is me - self-preservation.

Ask him if he has seen these "stories" on TV. Maybe he is repeated TV dialogue or phrases from his favourite TV programmes or films. I know my son does this all the time.

My son can make up some stories himself. But often there are still elements he has taken from TV and woven into his story.

So I usually ask him what it is about. Then ask him if he has seen that on TV or if it is his own idea.

I have done this all my life....(a long time!)......usually imagining a potential scenario that may or may not happen..... I talk to myself continually as I work it all out in my head....and can start pacing and gesticulating in relation to what is going on in my head too. This was one of the things that led me to seek help, as I thought it might have been some sort of psychosis............but it was explained to me that what I am actually doing is either rehearsing or re-enacting various scenarios to help cope with social situations...many of them fictional though...and now that I know this , it seems obvious, and when I find myself doing it now.....which is virtually constantly....I only worry about it when it is a situation that I know is unlikely to occur.....it is anxiety basically. I have to do it ......but stop myself when I realise it is a situation that is unlikely to happen.

Understanding what is happening has taken a huge worry of my mind!

Hope this may help,

Samantha

Yep, I repeat phrases from tv programs all the time. I tend to copy from other people too in real life, I never used the word 'wee while' until I heard a work colleague saying it, its his way of announcing he's going to the toilet lol