• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Sign in to follow this  
smileyK

sorry haven't been on here for bit ,while!

smileyK   

so sorry haven't been on here for bit,while... seems like forever seems like missed loads hope i haven't anyways hope can manage to catch up or be given a catch up anyway! been real mad ,crazily rushing around rying work out ,settle in adjusting to new job three weeks in tomorrow goes so quick/fast been given lot of over -time already! gone from dping 5 hours a week at old work place to now fifteen hours so bit of jump/difference! but getting there slowly! wondering what's happening to me where am i! scary if think about it for too long so try not too!

so far so good senior manager trying to keep as consistent as possibility can do for me so don't have swap rooms alot as she fully aware of my ASD needs ( as old boss mentioned autism lots of my reference she wrote me that need to be understanding /supportive of my needs within work place which thought was thoughtful ,nice statement to make! so was pleased i was upfront about my needs in first place on application form /interview

still got 13 week induction period yet i'm in! but think doing 'well' so far and hope making 'grand/good impression' so worn out /drained with amount of over-time though not used to it mentally zaps me always have an early night now! but main thing is so far enjoy 'new challenge' everyday bringing to me! and that managing to face/deal with it head on though may not find easy and maybe stressful/anxious

so looking forward to and in desperate need of my holiday next month (end of july) with parents,twin brother & neice for 3 weeks to Turkey as worked so hard this year stepped out of one job straight into another! feel like ain't had real chance to step back look around and take in what has happened! been like mad dash whirlwind! can't wait to chill,relax ,unwind ....!!!

XKLX

GRP1919   

No need to apologise, smileyK. Nice to hear from you, at all :D I can fully understand how stressful things may have been for you lately. I'm now approaching the end of the 2-year programme of my Foundation Degree (FdA) in Travel & Tourism Management. Even now, I still can't see a light at the end of the tunnel and the work load often plays havoc with my social life. There's a programme I'm undergoing with a local service of mine called 'Autism Success Formula', which has already proved successful for quite a lot of people, considering it's a relatively new scheme. The man who runs the scheme is a former headteacher of autistic children. My mum has known him for years - she met him through her own career as a headteacher. You can reach the organisation at "www.autismsuccessformula.co.uk" and they might know of a similar scheme in your home community that could be of help to your career. After all, you sound as though you are doing very well with your career development, you should be very proud of yourself and I'm very proud of you. Your forthcoming holiday in sunny Turkey will be a good opportunity for you to relax, refresh and recharge your batteries for your future :D I hope you and your family enjoy yourselves there.

Don't forget: whatever happens, you've always got me here for you, and you can contact me about whatever you like whenever you like with a private message.

All the best,

Gareth :D