Annea

Time to think about college

My 15 yr old has one more year before moving up to college.

At present she has quite a modified timetable and quite a bit of 1-1 support with the LSW's

She is undecided whether to stay on at 6th form or go to a local college to do the same course which is a science based BTEC.

I am worried that if she goes to college, she will not get as much support as what she is having now (she has no statement just SA+ ) I am thinking of appling to the welsh assembly for funding for her to get a priory day placement at the same college she will go to, so she will get the extra support she needs. But if she decides to go to normal college can she access any extra support and if so where from?

We are in wales so it is a bit different than England I think, but I don't want to leave things to last minute as I know how long funding takes to put into place. He school will support ++ whichever route she takes but I just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

I see there are no replies, so will share what I found out eventually regarding her getting support at a main stream college..... this is in Wales though and I believe it is different to England.

I Was visited by Careers Wales and the man who saw me was really good. He told me that regardless of weather she has a statement or not, because she is on SA+ He will fill in an educations and skills assessment which will apply for funding for an LSW at college, He will also apply for her to use a laptop in class right from the beginning because her writing speed is slow. He will also arrange for her LSW to liase directly with lecturers to ensure she is not falling behind and is getting the best out of the course.

I am a bit more confident knowing this and having spoken to the tutors that she will in fact cope with the lessons. IF I can get her through level 2!

Sorry nobody was able to help you, Annea. The feedback you got from the careers people sounds positive and I hope that your daughter gets all the support she needs to enable her to succeed. Thanks for passing on your info, which might be helpful to other parents in Wales.

~ Mel ~

My son is now 18 and they seem determined to not allow him to go to college but keep him at special school still. Had HUGE rows with the consultant, not speaking at all to social services, and the transition people appear to be at odds with their own policy. We have applied for a special college/residential placing for autistics, transition and Medical suggested residential accommodation locally, and currently we are sitting here with popcorn watching the transition people and the medical side slug it out while we apply elsewhere, it all seems rather ridiculous. We looked at local colleges and even they rejected them as unsuitable. By the time they agree on something I will have arranged it elsewhere without them, so why do we even need these people ? Because they sign forms that's all. They are not trained in autism have no organised program of support either, looks like if you want a job done well, do it yourself here ! We've replaced 2 social workers as incompetent, and now questioning if we need a second opinion medically as well, as the consultant appears to be favoring some private support area against the LA suggestions, and our own preferences supported by his school. . Regardless of the fact we as parents have rejected it already. because we want him in proven specialized education and care area, and not willing for them to experiment with care to see if it works ! The current local set up seems one for 'disabled' and 'special' needs but NOT autism,obviously they have been rejected as unsuitable and we are at an impasse, well they are ! we will carry on without them then argue with them after to sign the forms I suppose.