Charlie C

Residential care - learning disability

I'm interested to know what its like in residential care and what sort of activities they do throughout the day, I'm be going to a place for mild/moderate LD with ASD when my social worker arranges it, he said I need more structure which I'm not getting in supported living and I hate it here anyway. I get full benefits at the moment. How much of them do I get to keep..... What are you experiences of residential? Thanks

You would have to pay for your care and in some cases end up with just £20 left to spend. Ask JeanneA for more information.

Hi Charlie, my son Glen is in residential care. He receives ESA which goes into an account, but he's only left with around £23 a week as the council take the rest towards his care. DLA was stopped as soon as Glen went into the care home apart from the mobility part of the DLA which is still paid monthly. Glen is now in a lovely care home which is quite local to me, the manager and her team are very understanding of Glen's needs. I hope you find the right place for yourself also.

Thats the way it is I'm afraid once you are an adult.

Thats the way it is I'm afraid once you are an adult.

I understand that because I used to get more help but now you don't because of cutbacks. It is like the Government will throw money at a problem in the form of extra benefits but I can say I would rather have half the money and the support I used to have.

My social worker looked into a residential house for Aspies in Devon and I don't think it would be like I would have to pay and be left with '£20' to live on, it's not the YMCA.

So I think it is true in a sense 'that's how it is when you are an adult' as much of the support is aimed towards children, which is wrong but how it is.

I think the system has changed since the £20 left rule was in force, but you still have to pay and sometimes 1.5 times your DLA care allowance.

According to the 'fairer charging policy' that's how much your expected to care for your social care (not healthcare which is different). Check the guidance on charging for your area to see how much you would be expected to pay.

Thanks trekster. There is the dichotomy. A difference between health and social care. I don't think there is or should be any difference in assistance at all. Unfortunately we live in the Disunited Kingdom where someone who writes graffiti on walls can get three and a half years in jail and someone who molests young girls AND is in the public eye gets just fifteen months.

And what has this got to do with the price of fish? Absolutely everything. We seem to be guided by inept governments and moronic, nonsensical jurisdiction.