ash1990

repeating words..... please help

hiya everyone,

I just wondered if anyone else or their children repeat words my lo seems to get stuck on a word and say it over and over and over again, like if asking for a bottle hl say bok bok n il say ok babe il go get it, and his reply will be bok bok bok bok bok bok and he will do this until he has that bottle in his mouth,

he doesn't seem to understand my answer to him like im just getting it... im finding it really hard, as no word of a lie he has said two words today bok bok and choo choo but said them all day.

see iv not seen or heard of anyone getting stuck on words? is this possible or is it just him being a monkey?

sorry if im rambling its just really hard to explain :/

xxxx

This is an autistic behaviour repeating your own words.

Yes Leo when he was younger repeated words again and again and again.

At 5 he now repeats whole sections of books or a tv programme over and over. it can get very tiring!

Yes my son also repeated his words when he was younger, it is an autistic trait.

aww thank you people I was starting to doubt myself again but as usual you have put my mind at ease :) I don't no what hyperlexia

is?? I will google it and see though thank you again xxx

Also google ASD and echolalia and perseverant speech.

He may not understand what you are saying, but has found that if he says "BOK" and keeps repeating "BOK" then he eventually gets "BOK".

Speech and Language difficulties and Speech Disorders can be very complicated in children with an ASD. At some point he needs a speech and language therapist to assess all his expressive and receptive speech skills using standardised assessments such as ACE II and/or CELF4. These give age related results for each skill set and will highlight what his strengths and weaknesses are.

I found this video on YouTube showing a toddler that is repeating and acting out his favourite TV show.

I know that your child is younger and maybe just fixating on 'one' word. But you may start to notice this type of beahviour as he gets older and is watching his favourite TV shows or DVDs.

My son used to do this [and still does it now he is 12]. I used to think this was 'imaginative play'. But it isn't. It is repeating what they have already seen and heard. Another child could not interact with this. Indeed my son would want any other kids to do exactly the same as him same words/movements etc. And if they did not comply he would either get very upset, or ask them to leave.

This is another link to an explanation of the difference between perseverant speech and echolalia. http://www.therapycenterofbuda.com/?p=712

Edited by trekster

Thanks for the link Sally, a while ago my gran said 'that's not ladylike' sometimes when I think my family is 'telling me off' (my autism has always been a negative with even my literal speech being corrected in unfriendly ways) is reply 'that's not ladylike' normally out of context. Is that delayed echolalia or perseverant speech? What if the expression is in context?

Another problem I can see is judging the passage of time. Your son is probably expecting instantaneous reaction because he cant wait or judge how long the wait will be. A bit like being at a train station or airport and they cant tell you how long a delay is going to last whether caused by a cancelled service or failed technology. if I know how long im expected to wait especially if that information is clearly displayed in front of me im less likely to get upset. I generally wait 15mins before asking 'any news on my train please?'

Another possibility could be that hes craving and addicted to the milk but that's a more complicated issue on the gf/cf thread in the 'interventions' section of the boards.

Does this make sense?

Always happy to explain autistic behaviour especially if it prevents parents/carers/partners etc misunderstanding an autistics intentions.