Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Glen's 6 week review

Hi I went to Glen's 6 week review meeting today, it went very well. Staff are not putting too many demands on Glen they are taking it slowly which is proving very positive. Glen goes out every afternoon for a drive and a long walk which he loves. Glen particularly likes large open fields/parks/woods away from traffic and other noise. The manager said Glen could walk for miles. I saw pictures of him on these walks and he looked very happy. This care home definitely seems to be getting it right where Glen is concerned much more so than the previous home. The swing is being put up on Friday which will be great for Glen. I spent time with him before and after the meeting he was relaxed and happy in my company. Can't wait to see him again. :D

Thanks Mel, yes all good so far hope it continues the same. The only thing I was a bit 'down' about was the fact I brought up about Glen coming home for a visit soon but it was thought that it shouldn't be for a while yet until they know Glen is properly settled as they don't want him 'going backwards' so to speak which of course I understand, and when he does come home it will only be for a few hours initially to see how the visit goes.

The swing has been put up for Glen at the care home but so far he wont' use it :-( (It's only been up a few days) Staff think it's due to the fact he's been put off going outside due to the cat next door which comes into the garden at times and Glen doesn't like cats or animals for that manner. So they are not putting pressure on him to use the swing, they hope Glen will come round to it in time.

He'll do it when he's comfortable with it, no point trying to push him and risk putting him off for good. If he's anything like my lad, one little negative incident is enough to put him off something for life! He was really enjoying learning to swim and then one day he got water in his goggles and that was it, he absolutely hated going from that moment on and couldn't move past the one negative, suddenly all the positives were eradicated. In the end, it became such a chore to get him to go we gave up as he just wasn't gaining any enjoyment from it at all :/ Such a shame.

Softly, softly .... :)

Glad things are continuing to go well.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel, yes you are right Glen is exactly the same, he used to love swimming when younger but suddenly as he got older one day he went swimming with the school and became really agitated and refused to go in the pool and from then on he just wouldn't go and I decided the worst thing to do is force him. He hasn't been swimming now in quite a while, however Glen does like going to a hydro pool and the manager of the care home he is now in have referred him so he will have weekly hydro pool sessions and also sensory sessions. :-)

Going back to the fact Glen won't use the swing I do know that the best way to get Glen on the swing is by telling him not by asking him, I used to say 'time for a swing now, then we will have a snack', something like that, and it worked. Going on the swing was then part of Glen's daily routine. I think the staff are still getting to know Glen and are treading carefully not wanting to put any demands on him due to his past challenging behaviour.

Yes, that's true, sometimes they just need to be told and they will. It's the same with my lad and food. If he stays with his grandma and grandad, they always ask him, 'do you want carrots', 'do you want potatoes' and obviously he says no. Whereas at home, I just put it on his plate and he'll eat it. I keep telling the, don't ask him, just give it to him and expect him to eat it, but they insist they don't want to 'upset' him, because they know he doesn't like vegetables, but he'd never eat any if it was up to them. So, yes, I do know what you mean. You know Glen best and know what works, so hopefully when the staff feel more confident with him they'll be able to treat him as you do and get results.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel, I'm glad you can relate to what i mean. I do feel that is the problem so far with staff they do ask not tell, it's the same with indoor activities, if you ask Glen he will just shake his head, I do him best, I just hope that perhaps the staff will listen to what I'm saying as if they do I think they will find glen would actually do more than he's doing at the moment.

I'm glad it is sounding so positive. Makes the upheaval worth it. And very good that they have quickly found what Glen likes and how they can use that to relax him.

Hi Sally yes the staff are getting to know Glen well. Going out motivates him the most, he loves his drives and walks, he would walk for miles if you let him. :-)