joybed

Mainly positive update

Hi my name is Joy some of you might remember me I used to hang out here a lot but life gets busy and I havn,t posted for a while. I thought I would just do a quick post to update you all. I have 3 children Marcus 17 has ASD and you might remember had lots of problems in mainstream comprehensive when he was about 12 with bullying, not able to cope with school life and self harm. After getting the right level of support for him and transport via taxi he left school last year with 10 GCSEs and is now in mainstream 6th form studying interactive media and ICT, he is on line to get a good pass and is planning on staying there at least another year. The school has an ASD unit which gives Marcus support and also life skills/ work experience. We are so proud of him, he still needs lots of support and encouragement but is doing so much better than we ever expected and thankfully not self harmed for a while. For those of you going through tough times fight and be strong it is so worth it.

Piers is now 9 and has a diagnosis of Aspergers and ADHD, he currently takes Concerta 36mg. He is within a mainstream school with 18 hours support. He is a funny charismatic little boy who educationally is doing very well since starting meds. However he is also an aggressive little monkey who is really struggling at school at the moment (I have writtten a seperate post regarding this asking for advice).

Lydia is Piers twin sister she probably has ADD or aspergers or both. She has virtually no concentration skills at all (unless it involves dancing, the big bang theory or how I met your mother). She has a good circle of friends now although she has to work hard at maintaining these friendships and can often be selfish. We have to constantly battle with her to get her to focus on homework etc and she is so forgetfull. Her current teacher acknowledges her concentration issue but educationally and socially she is doing well so adopting a watch and wait policy. She has dance lessons 6 hours a week which she loves and loves performing on stage, this has increased her confidence no end and she is no longer the timid little girl she once was.

Miles (the hubby) is still the same, still not coping with the kids still prefers to do his own thing, he loves us in his own way but just leaves me to deal with it all.

Finally we come to me I am pleased to say i no longer suffer from depression. I have found a love for exercise (running, cross fit and bodybuilding) and have lost 3 stone. I still work fulltime and hardly get any sleep but the exercise helps me cope. On a not so positive note I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and a small benign brain tumour but I dont let either of these things stop me i don,t have time. I wont stay away so long next time glad to be back.

Hi Joy, it is lovely to hear of your update on your family. It's very positive news regarding your son Marcus, I can well understand how proud you must be of him. It's always good to hear positive stories. I hope your other 2 children get all the support they need and don't forget to look after yourself, I don't know how you manage to work full time, I think you are fantastic. :-)

Hello and welcome pleased your eldest is doing well.

Omega 3s can help improve brain function and also with the fibro. im also a fibromite and found limiting white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and aubergine helpful during a flare.