phoenix

the DLA form (children)

I am going to start a claim for my son, hes now 13 and the school are applying (finally) for a statement, when I collected the form from the tax office I was told the doctor needs to fill out a bit, yet I cant see which bit, I thought just enclosing a copy of a letter from the hospital with his diagnoses would suffice, can anyone advise, im usless with forms,

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care/disability-living-allowance/dla-tips-for-parents-and-carers.aspx

The above section mentions hints and tips for parents filling out the form. You have to describe in detail how his autism affects him and yourself. Mention what makes his behaviour different to that of children his age.

what do I put in the minutes box, when question asks how long promting and encouragement takes for certain tasks, it can take a week of nagging before he washes his hair, do I cross out minutes and put days?

Is there a more information box underneath or on a different page? If so put "see below" or "see page x".

Hi

Its been three years since I done my application so not really sure,also my son was 6 at the time and still under the paediatrician. But basically after applying online,I filled in sections on the details of the paediatrician and my sons school. They were then contact by the DLA department directly,so I never even had to send any evidence at all.

With regards to the time scales,like trekster said if its something like personal care that would be longer than a day you can mention it elsewhere,like in the box where you explain what you do to encourage him to wash his hair you can explain that you do this everyday for a week and then say how difficult it is. Generally speaking its the day-to-day things like..at 13 he should be quite independent at getting himself up for school,washed,dressed and even pouring cereal into a bowl. So you firstly explain how he cannot do all this and how long it takes,average child maybe takes 45min-1hr getting ready,he may take 2+ hours plus he needs constant prompting. Thats just an example.

The DLA form is not easy to complete for ASD children, it is far too focused on physical disability. Don't get hung up on the times, but give a good narrative explaining how it impacts daily life.

The form needs to be supported by credible evidence. I think we just attached a copy of his statement and listed all the professionals in case they wanted more info.

Since the person reading the form will not be an expert in ASD you need a professional opinion that explains some of the impact. You may have that in the form of a diagnosis or EP report - but if not I would approach your GP, or CAMHS, for an opinion

I would definately advise that you get some help to fill out this form. Try Citizens Advice.

The reason for this is that you need someone experienced in knowing what kinds of information they are asking for. As parents we get used to what we have to do for our children and it becomes 'normal' to us and that makes it hard for us to think how our children need more help than others.

For example, for going outside you may need to constantly hold their hand - why - because they might run off, run into the road, go and hide, go and talk to strangers, take things in shops, they may get upset and refuse to walk further even if they are in the middle of the road. They may refuse to get onto buses, or go into shops. They may get upset and physical when upset and there is nothing you can do other than wait for them to recover. My son also has OCD and so he refuses to leave the house at all unless he gets into a car and it takes him straight to where he is supposed to go.

Your child maybe able to speak, but do they always understand and act on what you say?

Would you be able to send them to the shops for something on their own. I couldn't do that now, and my son is 12.

So an experienced person will ask you questions that will prompt you to think about how things are different with your son.

The DLA usually gets in touch with one professional about your son. You need to send in all correspondence about diagnosis, and all reports. As much information as possible. And nominate a professional who knows and understands your child well. You don't want them to write to DLA saying that they don't think he has any difficulties.

ill ask the school senco to be the proffesional to contact as it him pushing for a statement, hes also his teacher so knows my son well

do i have to send origional hospital letters or copies?

Edited by trekster

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/English/getinformation/publications/Documents/dla-guide-web.pdf

I found the cerebra information very helpful and you can follow it step by step. It says neurological conditions but does refer to Autism.

I would send photocopies of all relevant letters. They will request further details from Dr or School.