Sign in to follow this  
Noosa

7 year old Diognosed without any observations???

Hi

I have always thought there was something wrong with my Son, but just can't put my finger on it?, Speach and Lang theropists visited him as school and that seemed fine, the school wrote a report on his behavior he's just done his stats and reached a level 1 so behind as at the end of key stage 1 he should be a 2, his teacher (year 2) said he doesnt fit all the criteria for Aspergers/Autisum and he's not to sure either.

We had an appointment with a doctor who said at the first meeting she was 90percent sure its Aspergers, she told me to fill in a form and to come back in 6 weeks to confirm it is Aspergers, I have a meeting with her Monday and if she does say its Aspergers I will be a little concerned as she has not assessed him fully, I assumed she would visit him in his school surrounding and home life, does anyone know what the doctor has to do to be able to make the diognosise?, I ask this question because I'm all confussed about it, I have lots of people saying "you just need to go back to basic's with him, careful because these doctors are easy to label children today".

My main concern is he never get's invited to parties, he hits out Loads, and makes constant silly noises and always thinks people are laughing at him, then gets nasty, I really feel concerned that not enough investigations will be made to ensure the right diognosise is made.

Thanks

Noosa x

Hi, I felt exactly like you and we started the long path to diagnosis around the same age.

My son is 8, almost 9 now. We now have a proper assessment done in the Children Assessment centre after consultation/refereal from my son's teacher and the Special needs teacher at school

He does have Aspergers and although it is a daily challenge. we are really pleased that we pushed for a proper assessment. It helps us/the school support him better. Nowadays they are dropping the term Aspergers and they just tell you the kids have ASD, so it is very important to know what his needs are from a detailed diagnosis.

My son showed signs from a young age and I sort a referral when he was 10 years old. I was told not to 'label' my son and he got no help. It was only on transition to high school that he could not cope and started school refusing. The school would not help and we were threatened with court. I then sort diagnosis for my son. The paediatrician saw him in the May, said it looked like he would need a lot of support in school when she asked them for their assessment. We went back to see her in the November when he was formally diagnosed. He still got no help in school and it was only when he was out of school they did an individual education plan. Too little too late. My son was never invited to parties, didn't join after school clubs etc.

It sounds like the school have done their assessment. They do not diagnose so ignore their opinion. The speech and language therapist should have carried out standardised assessments which the paediatrician would be aware of. So a lot of the leg work has been done towards a diagnosis. Have you had a report from the speech and language therapist?

You know your son. His needs should be identified and supported. Has the school put him on school action or school action plus? With a diagnosis you will still have to push to get the help he needs but without it things are a lot more difficult.