Chris86

Rain Man

Hi

The other day I watched the film Rain Man for the first time. I tried to watch it with a neutral view and then tell my friend I was watching it with any thoughts I had afterwards. I have to say I had mixed feelings about it.

Anyone else seen it?

What are your thoughts?

I had watched Rain man quite young and therefore prior to having kids,or getting their diagnosis.I had also only ever met one person with autism,my primary school teacher had a son(was age 4/5 whilst I was at the school) with autism and often he had to bring him to our class. So my knowledge was limited. I thought the acting was very good though.

I have since watched it twice,in the space of 6years. I still think the acting is very good. The story is depicting someone on the mid-low end of the spectrum so is well portrayed.

The negative is of course that this is the most known film about autism (though there are many others) and played by two of the most famous actors. Therefore the general population make the assumption that all those with autism will be like that of Rain man,making it hard for people to understand those on the mid-high end of the spectrum.

I've only seen Rain Man once, before I was diagnosed (I must have been in my early twenties at the time). As I recall, I wasn't altogether happy with it, as I felt the viewer was being encouraged to laugh at, not with, Raymond Babbitt. Maybe I need to give it another go.

Edited by Aeolienne

No to be honest I don't think you need to, I certainly wont be watching it again. I totally agree with what you're saying, it does come across as if the viewer is supposed to laugh at not with Raymond

No to be honest I don't think you need to, I certainly wont be watching it again. I totally agree with what you're saying, it does come across as if the viewer is supposed to laugh at not with Raymond

Totally agree with you there. But: when I saw that movie, I just didn't get that. Only, everyone else at school did. Looking back, that's for me my first experience with the label "autistic".