luch

Hi Newbie here with 12 year old just diagnosed

Hi I have 2 children my youngest has just been diagnosed asd after a lengthy time of waiting and concerns being ignored. He is also diagnosed with dyspraxia, sensory processing disorder, social anxiety. The anxiety slowly started 2 years ago and is getting worse affecting school attendance and sleep etc. Recently privately assessed as moderate dyslexic and dysgraphia as High School stated he no longer had these issues (as was SpLD on IEPS at primary). Presents as fine at school so I am told but I hear of some issues and there has been past issues in primary e.g. running off of site, refusing both primary and secondary. He is on SA at school which I don't agree with was moved down from SA+ without my knowledge in yr 6, especially in light of recent diagnosis.

Just want to learn more and be able to talk to others as is quite hard work. x

Hello and welcome, check out the education section of the boards for more tips on how to help your son,

Hi.

I had a son who was only diagnosed in high school. He is out of education after school refusing 20 months ago.

I would say to you to write to the local authority and request an assessment of your sons special educational needs. It sounds from what you have said that the school are ignoring and underplaying your sons needs. Do not wait for the school to do this. It sounds like your son has seen some professionals. Has this been NHS or has he seen an educational psychologist?

I am sure you will find lots of helpful info on the forum and there are plenty of people to answer your questions. :)

Has been under SALT and Paediatrics since age 3 still see's them. OT since Yr 3 still sees them and LEA EP seen since Yr 2-5. Due to ignorance of High School we had a private EP assessment and report done for High School recently which I will be sending in September. EP couldn't get involved with the asd side as the NHS assessment was occurring, as he was already back to asd panel he has also been discussed several times over past few years.

I think because he is just below average or average in some subject areas then they state he is ok. Yet his dyslexia disappeared from primary to secondary wish it was that easy! We tend to get most of the issues at home but they have been seen elsewhere.

Thanks will look in education.

Can you get an educational psychologist to assess your son? If already done you have a right to that report so you can attempt to chase up with the school what he's missing out on. Are the school helping with the subject areas he is struggling with? Could you let him do his homework on a PC at home and then print it out to stick in his book? I only got access to a laptop if I injured my writing hand. Does he have a sensory assessment by an OT familiar with Patricia Wallbergers work?

I have quite severe sensory issues and highly recommend the literature by Sharron Hellier and Olga Bogdashina. Sometimes helping with the sensory problems 1st can ease any of the side effects of sensory problems. All of my disabilities bar a few are related to sensory problems. Mine isn't officially diagnosed as sensory processing disorder or sensory integration disorder but I do feel much calmer when I do integration techniques. I tried on a proprioception pressure jacket recently and would get one if I could afford it. Also bought a weighred jacket which is invaluable to helping with a variety of my disabilities.

HTH