Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Another good visit

Hi everyone, just thought I would update you on Glen. He has been in his current care home for 10 weeks and is continuing to do very well. Myself, my daughter and a great uncle of their's went to see Glen this afternoon. He was very pleased to see us, he looked very happy, smiled nearly all the time we were there and I could see how relaxed he was. Glen showed no anxiety at all. I am so relieved at how well things are going and I'm hoping this will be a permanent home now for him. Staff continue to take Glen out on a daily basis which he loves, today after we left they were taking Glen shopping, they go to smaller shops not the larger supermarkets as Glen finds them a bit too overwhelming. Looking forward to the next visit :-)

Thanks very much Dekra, it does seem to have gone very well this time. The next review meeting is on the 20th of August so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Thanks Mel, I can't wait to visit Glen again Saturday week. :-0

What I like about this post is not just the benefit Glen must be getting in his new home but the evident relaxation in you Jeanne.

Hi Dekra, thank you for your observation, you are right I do feel much more relaxed. If Glen's happy then I'm happy. I heard from the care home manager earlier who said Glen went out twice yesterday and really enjoyed himself. He goes out once a day every day but the staff thought they would see if Glen wanted to go out in the morning as well as the afternoon and he did. On one of his trips out staff took Glen shopping, Glen can pick out which items to get by the pictures that staff show him.

I went to see Glen again today with my other 2 children. The visit went well and they seemed to like my chocolate brownies that I baked :D . Glen had been out for a walk this morning he is going out twice most days now. He is looking really well and very happy. Have the next review meeting on Tuesday so will see Glen again then.

Continuing with the fabulous news, Jeanne!! It must be so lovely having him so near as well so that you can pop down and visit so much more easily. So glad you all had a great day:)

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel it is so nice that Glen is local, much easier to visit him. I took a couple of photos of my 3 kids whilst there, lovely pics. Still haven't had Glen home yet, I've held back a bit as I don't want to upset his routine, he is doing so well that I worry if I have him home for a visit I may unsettled him which is the last thing I want to do, which is why I've been hesitant regarding the home visit. I will discuss this at the meeting on Tuesday.

I suppose with him being so near, it's almost as if you don't really need to have him come to you maybe? Seeing him on his own territory sounds like it's working very well and you're right to be concerned about unsettling and confusing him. I suppose you have to ask yourself why you would want him to visit you at home, the most important thing is seeing him and seeing him being content and relaxed. Sounds like it's going so well at the moment.

~ Mel ~

Thanks Mel you are right I don't want to unsettle Glen, although I do want him to know he still can come home for a visit and spend time with us without the care home staff around, but as I say will have to discuss this on Tuesday. maybe we won't have him him and just carry on visiting there. At one time I thought I would never see Glen happy and contented again, it is a nice feeling, Glen deserves to be happy.

.. and you deserve to be happy too, Jeanne. Are you able to visit him in the care home and take him out on your own for a trip or drive and bring him back later without the staff accompanying you? That way his base is familiar to him, but you are still getting some private time with him and enjoying an outing.

~ Mel ~

My daughter has suggested we do this I would need someone with me and I don't staff would let Glen go without 2 people with him, he has 2:1 support when out. I don't know Colchester that well so wouldn't no where to drive to that's not in the town it needs to be a quietish area out of the town, but I'm sure my daughter Julie would drive anyway so we probably will try that if staff agree in due course.