allf1978

hey there :-)

hey there , ive just signed up today :-) i have 2 boys (9+7) and a lil girl (4.5) and our youngest boy was diagnosed with Aspergers on 2nd may. hes on fluoxetine and also takes melatonin gummies to help him sleep. hes never settled in school since starting and atm hes on a reduced timetable of 1.5 hrs in a room with his TA and doesnt intergrate much at all with his class.

his mood swings are jekyl and hyde like and hes very unpredictable in his behaviour, one minute hes raging at us for no particular reason and being violent, the next hes cuddling up and being lovely!

be nice to be able to chat with others in similar situations , looking forward to chatting :-)

Hi there and nice to meet you :)

I'm new here too after my son (4yrs) was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism last Tuesday.

I can truly empathise with the mood swings, it's the most upsetting and frustrating part for us because we just don't know how to help him :(

I hope to get to know you better :D

Hi to you both, my lad is now nearly 20 and, whilst I recognise a lot of what you say in him when he was younger, he is a totally different person now. Try to hold on to the fact that it won't always be like this for your sons, they will develop and mature and it will get easier in many ways. :)

Welcome both.

~ Mel ~

Hello and welcome

I recommend reading as much as you can about autism, the behaviours you describe sound like sensory overload. What in particular sets him from being cuddly to violent?

Would getting a weighted blanket, pressure vest or heavy blankets help him sleep? Then his nervous system could reset and possibly improve other daytime functionality.

im highly verbal most of the time, but can without warning shutdown due to sensory of other types of overload. Recognising what causes that overload and stepping in to

prevent or delay it is the key.