Sign in to follow this  
dekra

It's confirmed I am an Aspie.

Saw the clinical psychologist again today and I do have AS. It's not official until she has completed her report but that is my dx.

I feel a sense of freedom, of vindication, of relief.

+1

Glad that you are feeling relieved about the outcome of your assessment.

All the best.

:)

Edited by Echo

It's mostly relief I feel. That I was right with my self diagnosis - I was obsessed with knowing for sure so I don't have the plaguing my mind.

Ironically uni aren't giving my any more support. They already put into place what I needed when my depression reassertion itself badly over the last year. And they have been very good. Small groups for some classes rather than 100+ ( or 170+ like some in first year when the mental health students were with us). I also get to do exams in a desperate room. I could have had my own room but I was happy to be in small group (up to 5). I get to word process exams rather than hand write and I get 25% extra time. Although my asd wasn't diagnosed my depression was and my social anxiety was a clear influence on the depression.

Other than the relief I sort of feel a bit flat. Getting the dx was huge for me and not many people know about it and those that do mostly don't get the significance so it's a bit of an anticlimax there. I'm not shouting my dx from the rafters but I'm not advertising it either. My hubby and mum know and a couple of others, it shall stay that way. I know my aunts and cousins will dismiss it saying oh everyone has difficulties like that. And in a way I can see their point - a lot of members of my family have various traits. I just seem to have gotten more than my fair share of them.

I must add that my hubby gets how important this has been for me. He said when he got his dx for OCD he truly thought he was going crazy until psychiatrist explained it all. At least I had a good idea what my dx would be so it wasn't a bolt out the blue and I had an understanding of it. The relief I feel is nowhere near the relief my hubby felt I must say. But for both of us getting our correct dx should make us both happier and healthier as we have knowledge which gives us one less thing to worry about.

Thats brilliant to hear! My uni is not really supportive of students needing extra support. We lost two students who would have been brilliant nurses but were not given the support they needed.

Sounds positive all round I wish you all the best on your journey.

Just re-read some of what I wrote last night. Excuse the grammatical errors, they were mostly the iPad and I'm sticking with that excuse.

I was diagnosed at 21 and it made things better, in one sense. But I hate being autistic at times. I cannot stop biting my nails and rubbing my face. My 'condition' if you want to call it that, makes it hard for me to mingle with others, autism contemporaries or not. Must be a compulsion. I'm also online all day and often all night. Other than that, I find it a chore going out. After I had a terrible panic attack, I got agoraphobic a bit. When I'm in a busy shop, my face burns up. What's that due to?

I am feeling a similar thing coz I have always been told I had social phobia apparently closely linked but took an asp test got 71% I feel so much better not so weird and awkward and explains why I dont have any friends : ( I am 19 and would like some though

Well, I have been away from the forum for a little while or even a long while but all I can say is thank goodness I pushed for my adult diagnosis as I have needed the support this year from uni. Had to take some time out but things are back on track as of yesterday.

Faith (love the name it's my daughters) don't worry about having friends for the sake of it. I know it's easy for me to say now at twice your age but I worried about it as you do for so long. Gradually you will find over two people that you can be close to, and those ones are worth it. I know that doesn't help today when you might be desperately lonely and a friend tomorrow or a friend 10 years from now doesn't help today. The biggest tip I can give you is learn to like yourself if you don't already and that can help a lot. I know I have more positive experiences meeting new people when I am in a good place with how I feel about myself than when I feel negative about myself.