Maggie D

Just joined: 14 year old son with Asperger's

Hi there. Pleased to have found this site. My son was diagnosed last summer with Asperger's, aged 13, but I'd suspected there was something different about him since he was in Reception at school. Secondary school were a whole more proactive than primary. We got there in the end, but it took 8 years of pushing!

It has been a lot easier to deal with since getting the diagnosis and understanding his behaviour. We are not far from Bath.

Edited by Maggie D

Hello and welcome

I got my DipHE from Bath Spa University :-) I find the NAS autism services directory is useful to find information about what's available in your local area. Also their campaigns and training sections are good.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-results/pg=1~sid=-1.aspx

Some of the services might have gone, if so let the NAS know.

Hi Maggie Im having terrible problems with my 12 yr old son at mo , would love to know how you got the diagnosis ive been refused a assessment by camhs as they dont agree with my fears , i think my son has aspergers Mr D

Hi there and welcome.

I'm mum to an almost 19 year old with Aspergers syndrome.

Your story resonates with me, as I to suspected from an early age that my son was autistic. Unfortunately his primary and secondary school did not share my views, as they considered him to be "too able".

After going to my GP, we were referred to CAMHS who diagnosed him with AS. Our referral and subsequent diagnosis took six months in total. He was 14 by this time due to my having to keep pushing for someone to understand my concerns.

Please feel free to message me if you'd like to. I find this is a great place to come for advice and support.

Once again - welcome

Bee