jfjyhtftr1

airports and flying

I’m going on a trip to Canada in just over a week, and I’m very nervous as it’s the first time I’ve been abroad since I was quite a young child, and I have to go on my own. I’m particularly worried about coping with the airports, as I’ve only flown once before, and got quite confused by what to do when doing things like checking in and going through security. I must have looked really nervous and dithery, as in the end a couple of other passengers took pity on me and helped shepherd me through!

I’ve always found this forum a really wonderful resource, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on flying/airports that might be helpful? I’ve had a look at the Manchester Airport guide to flying with autism, which is quite useful, but it’s mostly directed at children travelling with their parents, not adults travelling on their own. I know this is probably something that everyone finds nerve-wracking if they are doing it for the first time, but being autistic means I over worry about little things like where to stand, which counter I need to go up to, how much I should talk to the person sat next to me, or even silly things like what to do if I need the loo during the flight...

Any advice would be much appreciated, and also possibly some details of what to expect? I’m sure there are some people here who are more experienced fliers than me!

Hi jfjyhtftr1.....hope my reply isn't too late! Just want to say GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you have a fantastic trip. I'm sure you will be fine. I have Aspergers and have actually taken quite a few flights all by myself! If it's a good experience, you will be so proud of yourself after for having achieved it. You will probably find that staff are very helpful, especially once you mention autism. And even other passengers are mostly very supportive if/when you need help knowing where to stand etc. I have found in the past, that if people are going to the same place as me, they have been happy to let me follow them or walk with them so that I get to the right place. Even if they don't seem that friendly, if you know they are going to the same place as you, follow them anyway, just be more discrete! When you travel alone, other passengers are usually very friendly and you might meet someone else who is also traveling alone, who might help you. There is a strange thing that happens when traveling, and I would love to know if anyone else here has noticed it........the "adopted friend phenomena!" It's very strange. People seem to group together and rely on each other when in stressful/unusual/unfamiliar situations such as an airport, almost as if they have an unofficial bond or friendship which exists outside of that situation, even though you will most likely never see each other again. I'd love to know if you end up experiencing that too. I hope so. It used to help if I imagined the journey as a tick list. What I mean is, I would only focus on the immediate next steps, and would not let my mind wonder beyond what was next to complete. So if I had to go through passport control and then get to my luggage quickly, I would block the luggage part out of my mind and focus only on passport control until that part of the job was over, then worry about luggage. And even if your emotions are heightened and buzzing, it can be quite exciting and liberating to feel that way, especially when you look back. Even if some things don't go perfectly, it will be okay, you'll still make it. In fact, when things have gone wrong for me in airports, no matter how wrong, and how miserable/distressed it's made me at the time, it's only made me feel more proud of myself once it's over, for having done it.......no matter how well i did or didn't cope at the time. You will feel so free and so competent. It's really good to push yourself and find out just how much you're capable of. I really hope it goes well, and sorry I have no other tips. Let us know how it went once you return! I hope you will share some stories! :)

My best advice would be to get to the airport nice and early so you're not rushing. Me and my sister travelled back from Florida alone once and we checked in online so all we had to do was drop off the luggage. Check which desk you need to be at for checking in, if in doubt, you can always ask the airline support staff which are usually milling about the queue exits which one you need to be at. Once done, get through security, then when you've got whatever you need at the shops, I'd head straight to the boarding gate early even if it means waiting a little longer its better than being late.