Sign in to follow this  
av16

Good News

I haven't posted on here for quite a while but I wanted to share some good news as I remember when my DS was younger, reading about others successes gave me a bit of hope. :) My DS wasn't diagnosed with ASD until he was nearly 9 but it was very clear he was different from almost day 1. He had tremendous melt downs and at school would often not comply with instructions, he was given two short term exclusions before diagnosis :( but when we knew what made him different we set out to find out more (this forum was incredibly helpful). He was statemented by the start of year 5 and things calmed down gradually - at least in school and year 6 was a relatively good experience for him. He started secondary school full of hope for a new fresh start - this lasted until the first half term by which time he was a nervous wreck, hiding for hours at a time in the toilets, shouting at teachers, by Christmas he was in an internal exclusion unit full-time. He was excluded for fighting (the same pupil) twice during the following January, when he was 'allowed' back in the main school part time. I won't go on but as you can see he didn't have it easy, we were asked why we'd sent him there (by the DHT) but by then I was a teacher myself and I set about finding out as much as I could about ASD and education.

I spent quite a large amount of time working with the school, challenging some of their actions, the comments of some teachers - not in a confrontational way but armed with background information of what has been shown to work and with information about my DS and what works well for him. At this time I also started to train to be a SENCO which gave me more confidence about how to work with the school. It was never easy as some of the teachers were not willing/able to change their teaching methods - he was excluded internally/externally at least once every year. :unsure:

The reason for this post though is to celebrate his success - he has passed 8GCSEs, in one subject he got a grade B despite not being taught by the teacher in class for at least the last year! He made some good friends who have accepted him for who he is and also built some good relationships with adults-those teachers who have taken the time and effort to get to know him and understand how to get the best out of him.

I am so proud of him :clap::clap: I honestly would not have believed that he would have been able to do this - even a couple of years ago. My message is to never give up - with getting the best support from school, reminding daily of what is expected of your child and encouraging them to keep going. Use this marvellous forum and the support you get from others to be confident in getting the right provision for your child and keep encouraging them to be the best that they can be.

Yes I really believe this. I've had a few children with ASD pass through my schools and seen such progression - it can happen. Thank you for your wishes - I am so proud of what he has achieved. He is going on to a new school to do A levels so lots of new challenges but I'm sure that the success he's had will encourage him. (I have to pinch myself to believe that I've written the last sentence!) :party:

what an encouraging post.

I'm so glad for you and proud for your son.

I think that many on the spectrum really are stronger than we think because they cope and get through what they do on a daily basis when things are very hard and stressful for them on a daily basis. And I hope that this success continues for him.

I recently got my own son's school report. And I too was so proud to see the progress he has made. He has gone from P levels for years in all subjects, to levels 3 in literacy and maths and even a 4C in science. And this proves to me and my son, what we always believed. That he is a smart lad with potential that his other school were too eager to deny. They literally wrote him off and told me not to expect him to achieve anything. So now who knows what he is capable of achieving.