Where to turn?.

New to this site....

Hi all,

I am a mum of 5 children! My three middle children are all boys I have a 10 year old who has a diagnosis of ASD/ADHD and also does not sleep for more 2 hours at a time. He know has a statement and he will be attending a SEN school. It took me a long 18 mths to get where he is now and we manage to jump a few queues on the way but only because his self harming due to his anxiety and he also has IBS.

My 13 year old has been diagnosed with ASD and ODD. I have been reading up on ODD and a lot of people have suggested that children with ODD have/are being brought up in a home with troubles. Obviously my home has it troubles but I certainly do not drink or neglect my child.

Have I been reading the wrong the stuff can some one help?

It has taken me so long to get my diagnosis because the fight at CAMHS and with the school he attended. He has been oppositional since a baby and would not be held to be bottle fed he did not crawl he army shuffled. Just to get him wash and brush his teeth results in a massive outburst. But I never give up and he does in the end do as he has to do.

My 6 year old son has clear classic signs of ASD and most definitely ADHD I have after 7 referrals managed to get him on the waiting list for CAMHS and I know it's going to be a battle to get him assessed. Does any one know how we can get a assessment done privately?

My life story is a long battle fighting for my boys and I will never give up and I would like to thank any one that has taken the time to read my brief encounter and if any one could plz advice me i would truly grateful

Many thanks

Sarah xx

Congratulations on keeping up fighting for your kids to have the right to a happy life. My carer burnt herself out trying to help me and I will always appreciate the 10 years she spent trying to help me. Our family has been through quite enough stress and overload and recently we've been dealt the additional diagnosis of EDS/HMS which has come too late for my gran but on time for me to manage my disabilities. Theres also sensory issues in our family and im trying various interventions to make life easier for me to bear.

Part of my autism is being unable to express pain in conventional ways. I also cannot recognise im in pain unless I have missed something in my pain management regime. I have communication cards (despite appearing very able) to help me communicate my needs PM me for a weblink. I have bought a weighted vest which helps me recognise when I need the loo, when to take painkillers or supplements, ability to focus, and a weighted blanket helps me sleep at night. If your kids/yourself need heavy blankets to sleep a weighted one could help. Improving sleep can also improve other aspects of life as I have discovered recently with my severe sleep issues. Can you get short release melatonin to help your kids sleep? 5htp has also helped both with depression, anxiety, anger and sleep.

I've found strict avoidance of gluten, dairy, aspartame, pineapple (for the EDS), benzoates (for anger issues) and having only occasional MSG has really helped me function. I do have difficulties eating enough and at the right times though.

hopefully you've managed to make sense of my convoluted post hehe

Welcome aboard :-)

Hi thanks for the reply

My 10 year old is on melatonin but some nights it doesn't have any effects. He still wets the bed and has a alarm to wake him but says his to scared to get up so I now have the alarm in my room which has helped. He uses a weighted vest which really helps to calm him and keeps the anxiety at bay.

My 13 year Old I have big problems with as i know that he is ODD but I also know it has nothing to do with his up bringing. His senior school is reluctant to keep him and want him to go to a PRU which is not appropriate because has poor social skills and lack of eye contact and serious obsessions with his bike and magazine that he has collected over the years.

My 6 year old has all the above plus more and it is such a struggle to get the help that he needs.

As for not expressing pain all 3 boys would get into a boiling hot bath and would not know, my 6 year old is full of bruises on his legs which are unexplained as he would fall and not cry or it just would not bother him.

It's a tough world out there and I know that with out the correct help in place my children will not cope in this tough world. I fear for they future as they have to go to school because of the behaviour at home is unbearable and the two youngest manage to cap they behaviour untell they return home. Transits ions from home to any where are also a problem for them even with visual aids (we have key rings with pics on)

Many thanks for reading

Sarah xx