Sign in to follow this  
lizj

Can't get a b*****y job!

Can anyone give advice, encouragement, a wall to bang my head against? Please?

Son of 22 with ASD, MLD and dyspraxia. Left college 2 years ago with a NVQ Level 1 and functional literacy and numeracy. This is about the highest level he is going to be able to achieve - he worked very hard for 4 years to get them.

Since then he has been on JSA as he is believed to be capable of work. He has a DEA who is worse than useless, all he ever does is increase the number of steps per week on his Job Seekers' agreement - he is now up to 20 steps per week.

He has applied for literally hundreds of jobs in the areas he could work in: mainly retail, animal care and hosptiality. But he has had NO interviews let alone offers, and I mean NO interviews.

He has had work placements with Remploy, Mencap and Shaw Trust. He does voluntary work for Oxfam and RSPCA.

Bottom line is, no-one wants to employ him. I would like to try him on ESA to end this ridiculous two-weekly farce at the Job Centre, but I don't think he would pass the ATOS assessment as he appears quite able. And I don't wnat things to get even worse. Any experiences for or advice please?

Hi lizj, I'm so sorry, I don't have any advice but can only sympathise. My lad is 19 and has just started a one-year course at college. Really the only reason for the course is to delay the time when he'll have to start looking for work because I know he'll be in exactly the same position as your lad once he is. He has applied for a few part-time shop jobs and didn't get a look in, even though a brand new Sainsbury's was being built in our area and they needed hundreds of new staff. He applied for a few hours shelf-packing and wasn't deemed to have the 'skills' required, so really I despair! Like your son, he is able in lots of ways and is also volunteering in a charity shop, purely to give him something to do and somewhere to go. Next year we will be in the same position as yourself with your son and it does terrify me.

So, very sorry again, no help to give just empathising!

~ Mel ~

Only thing that I know has worked: you know the (future) employer personally, and she/he knows you well enough to feel inclined to give your son a go.

Hi Liz, as your son has not been offered any interviews I was wondering whether you have heard of this scheme and if it may help you?

https://www.gov.uk/looking-for-work-if-disabled/looking-for-a-job

The "Two Ticks Scheme" guarantees an interview to disabled people who meet certain criteria under the Disability Discrimination Act. It may be worth looking into. The range of employers joining the scheme appears to be quite extensive.

Good luck to your son and to you.

this is affecting everyone at the moment. the problem is if he has been out of work for more than 3 months no-one wants to take a look. It is an incredibly hard out there. the only points I can stress are these.

1. Use the ASD as a weapon (I'm serious). it may mean he has opportunities open to him that the general population wont have

2. Use your contacts, if you know a key contact in any company you need to leverage it

3. really highlight the retail experience and volunteering on the CV

4. He needs to be focused. if he isn't 100% focused on getting a job then all the above points will useless to you.

I remember when I decided to have a career in IT, I was working in supermarket at the time. I was told point blank by a recruitment agency that I should stop having stupid dreams and go back to where I belong.

I started a domestic IT repair service as no-one would employ me, in just 3 months I was employed at a consultancy making £22K.

I did go to where I back to where I belong, in the IT sector!

It seems that that recruitment agency made you a big favour. Literally! I also listen what they can offer and then go do my own stuff.

He seems to be doing everything right, but getting interviews these days is hard for anyone - he just needs to keep trying, and explore other options. I've been through Work Choice, which helps with employment skills and finds placements, and got a temp job with a 3 month contract out of it - so that's something to consider, his DEA would need to refer him on to that.

It may be worth trying the ESA route, but maybe see Citizens Advice or a local Welfare Office - they can advise on applications and assessments.

Keep trying all the options, and help him stay motivated.

Thanks to those who have replied. My son has done Workchoice too, no success and it is only funded for 6 months, then it's back to square one. The latest was a 2 week trial at Asda, who gave him good feedback and he thought he might be offered a job, but they then told his DEA that "the store is not ready for him". What was that supposed to mean?

This is SO frustrating, the DEA just keeps on saying "He needs to try harder. Send out more CVs" etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change a DEA and get one who might actually give some helpful advice and not just increase the number of job applications he has to do?

Edited by lizj

Maybe contact ASDA and find out whey the aren't 'ready' for him. Maybe he needs a level of support they aren't able/willing to offer. He must of done something right to get good feedback though.

There may be more than one DEA at the local jobcentre, so that may be worth a try, but if not then you are probably stuck with them.

I've had limited dealings with DEA's, the first one I saw admitted she wasn't knowledgeable about the IT sector so couldn't really help me - surely they should be trained on all areas? I felt I was too skilled/intelligent for what they could offer, and was left to sort things out myself.

Maybe see the DEA with your son and discuss your concerns.

Its not easy though, still got to keep applying for jobs - but maybe try other area's, or look out for jobs with 'two ticks' employers who may be more understanding and supportive. I'm guessing ASDA isn't a 'two ticks' employers, but maybe other retailers are.

I know of people in my support group who have retail jobs or have worked in retail. The reality seems to be that often people with AS really struggle with full time work. Part time might be the best way to start off? Also I think job centres can be fairly unhelpful in trying to find work...

'Two-ticks' is a shortcut for the 'positive about disabled people' symbol (it has two ticks on it) that employers use (usually on a job advert) to indicate they are disability-friendly. Its designed to improve the chances of disabled people finding employment - employers will guarantee an interview for any disabled candidate that meets the minimum requirements, they will also offer some support once in employment.

I still remember going to the careers centre and how they used to sell the idea that you could have any job you want. When someone is out of work for too long the 'help' is always saying "you must get a job" again and again but if they've already been trying everything to get one then it will more likely make them feel a failure because that cliche argument seems to unfairly imply the person is being lazy in not getting a job. But if you have all the qualifications and experience needed to do a job and fly at the interview and then don't get offered the job then clearly they are already going after work and doing all they can do! It all comes down to the market forces of supply and demand. There just isn't the supply to meet the demand!

I don't know what you have to do to 'get' a job these days. Perhaps some people wave some cash at the interviewer or something and bribe their way into a company?!? But according to a Dispatches programme last week on Channel 4 many opportunities involve start-up costs to the effect that the employment opportunity becomes a self-employment placement where you work for a company but pay all your own tax and NI contributions, etc. I'm seeing hundreds of such jobs every day but the trouble is there is high risk with those jobs because unless someone tells you exactly how much you're likely to get after deducting all your overheads, it isn't really much help is it. The world is changing and so too are the rules of the employment market, it seems. I'm currently trying to understand them myself!!

Hi Mike,

I think I know one example. Take the university’s disability support (dyslexia/dyspraxia) tutors . SFE can give the money directly to a student with the current rate £ 70 h. But the tutor’s national insurance and pension fund payments would be that student’s responsibility. Thus, students have two avenues: to go to a uni’s team, who’d receive the funds and arrange a tutor( they apparently have a pool of sub-contractors) or negotiate privately taking personal responsibility for all of these payments.

Hello OP, I have to admit that finding a job whilst you have Asperger's is a nightmare - particularly when you consider that most people with AS are more than capable of doing any of the jobs advertised. The biggest issue I have at the moment, being a 22 year old graduate, is that the jobs in my sector are few and far between; and those that do exist want experience that I don't possess. Thus I am left with looking at Retail. I am in the middle of a Work Experience placement in a small chain store, but the problem is that it is unpaid work. I need paid employment, just like everyone else.

My advice to OP is to apply in high streets directly - forego the government and just go direct to employers. If they are hiring, explain the situation to the employer. Explain that your son has ASD, and that he would be a good hire because he is dedicated and works hard. Having your son present to demonstrate the ins and outs of ASD wouldn't hurt.

Also, if building a CV or Resume, don't put on it that you are disabled; this results in the recruiter immediately flagging the application and declining it. They shouldn't due to legislation, but trust me it does happen.

Hi I have autism moderate learning disability and dyspraxia. I also left adult education with level 1 ecdl and entry level 3 English and entry level 2 again unable to achieve higher due to my disability. I am also on ESA but in the support group.