jbo

Help I'm new to this

Hi. I am a single mum of 3 and my eldest has just been diagnosed with Aspergers.

I have trawled the internet and read so much stuff, been to the library and got ibooks to read but I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed by it all and would like to talk to people who are in the same boat as me. I have looked for local support groups but there don't seem to be any, although I will keep looking.

Welcome jbo. How old is your son? Take it easy on yourself for a while, it can be a shock to get a diagnosis, even though you may have been waiting for a long time for it, when it comes it still can knock your socks off. Give yourself plenty of time for it all to sink in and take it slow. Is he getting support at school and does he know about the dx himself? What about support for you also, do you have family/partner to support you at this confusing time?

~ Mel ~

Hi jbo and welcome! :)

I know one grandmother who’s taking care of her autistic grandson. The child is very dynamic and quite low on a spectrum. It’s very hard for her physical y and emotionally but she’s so dedicated to this little boy! I really admire her for loyalty and courage. I don’t know why I’m writing this.

Hi. I am a single mum of 3 and my eldest has just been diagnosed with Aspergers.

I have trawled the internet and read so much stuff, been to the library and got ibooks to read but I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed by it all and would like to talk to people who are in the same boat as me. I have looked for local support groups but there don't seem to be any, although I will keep looking.

There are also meetings for people with Asperger's under the Kent County Council called a Social Skills group that he might be interested in joining. Because it's a group meeting for people with similar needs. How old is your son? Unfortunately this group is for adults though.