Sign in to follow this  
girlracer76

Update :-)

Just thought i would update you all as we got so much advice from you all -

After my husband and myself applied for statementing for our DS it went to the board and thankfully wasnt rejected! We received the draft copy on the 20th August (earlier than the 2nd of Sept that we had been advised) - we have agreed the draft copy and requested a different school (one with an ASD unit) - this has been agreed and we are just awaiting to hear from the school regarding a start date :clap:

Needless to say we are soooo pleased that this has gone our way as reading on hear it could have so easily have been different - it hasnt been easy - we have had to admit to ourselves the severity of his condition and the help that he has required but the tears have been worth it. DS is aware of the move to the new school and he is obviously anxious - does anyone have any experience with moving ASD kids to new schools and how to prepare them?

The other recent news is that we saw his consultant again last week and has been diagnosed with secondary ADHD as well and we have agreed to start him on medication (ritalin) - we have noticed some difference already so fingers crossed. Also she has agreed to refer him to CHUMS and Occupational therapy for fine motor control and sensory issues.

Thank you all so much for all your help and advice - we have taken everything on board and it has helped us so far - still a long road to go with many more difficulties ahead but we know that this site is here for us to vent and question.

:notworthy:

Hi girlracer it is so good to hear your news. Very pleased for you and your son. I'm sure it hasn't been easy I know from past experience. I wish you all very well, please keep us updated.

I'm glad you have agreed and are happy with the placement.

Regarding the Statement, does it quantify and specify all the provision your child needs? It should detail the number of hours of support and therapy time he will get, and that should be set out on his weekly timetable so that you can see when it is happening.

If the Statement contains any wording like "access to, as required, when required, as necessary, significantly more, substantial" etc then it is not quantified and you will have no way of knowing if it is happening, and no way of complaining if you think it isn't happening. For example, if your child's statement says "access to a speech and language therapist as required" that basically means nothing. If you complain the school/LA will say that he does indeed have 'access to' a SALT as required, but they don't think he needs it. But if it says something like "xxxx will receive 9 hours per term of 1:1 speech and language therapy from a suitably qualified speech therapist", then that is what must happen, otherwise you can complain.

This is a link to www.ace-ed.org.uk and their booklet about getting the statement right. It used to be a free download, but now I see they are charging £2.00 for it. http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/publications/publications-container/getting-the-statement-right

Edited by Sally44

Hi Sally

On the statement he gets a total of 19hrs per week of assistance on top of the school action plus that he already receives - this 19hrs is split into differing amounts of time for differing needs. This means that he will still get full time 1:1 TA support plus the extras required.

The new news is that the head of the ASD unit at his new school to be is coming to meet us and our son at school this Thursday so we may have some more information soon as to when we can get him moved

Thanks again everyone

Sue