Sign in to follow this  
dekra

Incessant talking.

My son is 6 now and his language skills have improved a great deal over the last year. He is still behind in both receptive and expressive language but can get by and has a good vocabulary and can make sentences spontaneously not just by rote.

Ironically our problem at home now is that he just will not shut up. I am not exaggerating when I say it is constant. We tell him to be quiet so he whispers for a few seconds then its back to talk talk talk. We realise our mistake and reword it telling him to stop talking to which we get verbal objection a 5 second silence then back to the constant commentary on what he is doing.

Anyone else gone through this? We are really struggling despite the obvious irony that 2 years ago he could barely put 2 words together and his vocabulary was only a couple of dozen words.

oh yes!

I can so empathise with this. Our DS said nothing at 3 and at nearly 6 he never shuts up. Not only that he talks very loudly. We have a volume chart and we show him it to bring him down in volume but its lasts for 20 seconds then its shouting again

It never stops, my ears are ringing!!

He can parrot whole books and scenes from TV programmes word perfect - I know some episodes of Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly of by heart

No idea what the solution is

LisaKaz

My son also talks non-stop. Mainly he is repeating things he has seen on TV, so it isn't directed to you so you can kind of block it out. But when he starts talking to you about a topic he does go on. And no amount of telling him he is being too loud, or to stop talking for a bit works. Infact, if you interrupt him he can sometimes have to go back to the beginning of what he has already told you. And like you said, our son was not talking much at 3 years old, just a couple of words together - until he suddenly started repeated reams of TV/film dialogue. So we've also found it hard to tell him to shut up, because we ssssoooooo wanted him to be verbal!

Sometimes I tell him that he has given me so much information that it is making my brain hurt and that I need some quiet for my brain to recover. That sometimes works. He seems to get that. Probably because he experiences that himself.

I've noticed sometimes when I talk to people and they are bored, they frown or yawn a lot and try to get you to go off topic. Especially if they've heard it before. Maybe we just need to be prepared for what to say and how we say it, so not to appear rude or boring.

Well, yes, for adults it might be a way to be prepared to change topics, but I think that's a point where (AS) children just are unable to do it. Our son doesn't accept getting derailed, even if his topic is totally nuts.

Edited by Shnoing

It challenges what we know of AS because we learn that people on the spectrum have communication difficulties and love aloneness and yet I also know people on the spectrum who never stop talking. True, the endless talking, and not letting anyone else talk instead, may well be a sign of autism. It may be nervousness or it may just be because they fail to notice other people are present. They would talk forever and ever with or without people present.

Edited by Mike_GX101