Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Not toilet trained yet

Hello,

I am new to this forum but i have got to say that it is really good! Been looking for somewhere like this for a while.

I am a mother of a 5 year old autistic boy who will be starting school in August. Though one point of concern for me is that he is not toilet trained yet and still in nappies.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I can get him toilet trained or more self aware?

Thank in advance for any help you might have.

Elaine B)

Welcome to the forum :)

There are at least a couple of threads about these kinds of problems, so if you use the Search thingy at the top right of the screen you should find them.

Or, hopefully someone who can actually do links will be along soon :lol:

Bid

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...indpost&p=30300

Here is one link that you might find helpful.

I know what you are going through as my so starts school in September and is not useing the toilet yet although his is through fobia not lack of control.

I hope the link helps. Oh yeah Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to be.

Viper.

Hi Elaine,

Welcome to the forum.

My ds ASD 5 in Oct, was late to toilet train, wees first then poos. Pooing only recently! BUT, I think he was probably ready ages before if we had given him the chance.

Just wondering when was last time you gave your boy a try without nappies. Our psychiatirst devised a programme of regular sitting and reward for poos. I was very sceptical, but it worked.

We had to sit him morning and evening on the loo, one sticker for sitting, another for delivering and a really BIG sticker for going and delivering by himself. It worked very quickly. You might have good opportunity while your ds is still at home, maybe you could try every couple of hours -can't expect him to wait am pm for a wee!. We stuck the sticker chart to the loo door and chose some stickers from disney store. ;)

My ds started school nursery last Sept he was not wee trained b4 the Summer hols, just went on potty occasionally - by end of hols he had more or less cracked it.

Why not have another go, you've nothing to lose (except your marbles!) and if not maybe when he sees the other kids this might be an incentive. I know it was for my ds - he always weed sitting down but when saw his twin and the other kids standing he did too!

Try not to worry too much, easier said than done, but I worried so much too and it works out in the end.

Elaine

Hello

I have started again. I have put him in little boxer shorts and i think he is starting to click........................very slowly.

He is also into watching a potty dvd from huggies at the moment so that might help as well I suppose.

Elaine

The things that worked for my son (and I never thought he'd get it) was a silly song we devised that we sang when he went to the toilet ... I won't embarrass myself with the lyrics - oh and reward stickers! The potty never worked, he was too big for that and it stressed him out, the loo seat worked but he liked the comfort of being able to sit with his feet on something so he had to have that too. Pull Ups were convenient to use but they didn't help train him as he just saw it as a nappy. You have to try them in "big boy pants" and make a decision that there will be no more nappies unless at bed time .. and face the consequences that you might have to do a bit of washing. You have to watch them all the time whilst training so you can scoop them up and run them to the loo as soon as they start weeing/straining. My son was 3 years 8 months when he finally got it ... I had been trying to train him since he was exactly 2 (didn't know he was ASD then). Once he got it though, that was it - wees and poos, he's never wet the bed yet. We are currently trying to teach him to wee standing up ... yes, more washing .. of his clothes and the floor!!! All kids are different, I can only speak from my experience but try a silly song .. worked for me! Stephanie.

Hi all

My son (now 8 years old) was late to train too, I found big boy pants a real big help, sort of like removing the safety net of training pants. When it clicked with him, it all happened quite quickly. He still has issues cleaning himself after a poo though, I perhaps am too quick to run and help him but again, I know it will all fall into place.

Patience is the greatest gift us parents of ASD children were given!

Hello

Thanks for your replies - feel alot calmer about toilet training. As well as trying to train my little boy, my little toddler is getting toilet trained as well.

When he is out and about (at nursery etc) he is in his nappies but when he is in the house - he wears his big boy pants! Whilst on holiday, he went to the toilet himself. Back home, whilst in the garden, he will sometimes pull his pants down adn do the toilet in the garden - so from this i can tell that he is clicking!

Elaine

x

Maisie wasn't out of nappies until she was 5 and a half. She could go long enough without a nappy until I picked her up from school at lunch time then as soon as she got home, on went the nappy. I would dispair thinking she would never be clean and dry. Then last summer she just started using the toilet. From then on its been plain sailing!

My son has toilet issues and usually holds it in for weeks when he is stressed.

But when he does sit on the loo - he needs to have a toilet roll under each foot!

It sounds totally mad - but he can not go unless they are full toilet rolls either.

Best wishes

HelenL

J also starts school in Sept - took 8 months from the day we took his nappy off for him to get the hang of it.

We just kept changing pants without fuss until he worked it out.

Still in nappies at night - wet every night & soils them 5/7 nights. NOT going down that route until the soiling has stopped!!!

I think reluctance to go to the loo is an aspie thing - my self-dx hubby wont go in public loos - a germs thing.

My son seems to have an aversion to touching loo seats - either a germs thing or washing hands avoidance.

If its the latter its going to make life hell cos my aspie hubby is a compulsive hands washer!!!!

L

xxx :wacko:

My son Max nearly 5, starts school in September, we have been trying to toilet train, biggest problem is he hates pants. We managed to progress before end of summer term to going to nursery in boxers, and he would go to the loo, but as soon as home would demand nappy. In these holidays its all gone to pot with pants, he's OK if just bared bottomed, and will use the potty when he needs a wee, he asks for a nappy for poos, but he won't wear the pants, just screams "I can't wear pants, I don't like pants", and thats it. If I force him into pants, when he wants a wee he jumps on the potty and wee's in his pants. Must admit am at a loss how to move on.

Jo

Hello

My son did a pee in the toilet today at my parents house (all by himself) and this included flushing the toilet and washing his hands. He has done this before when we were on hols. It shows that thinks are clicking in place.

We have him in boxer shorts when he is in the house and my mum has been taking him to the toilet every hour.................. there is hope.

My outlook on him is that he will do everything eventually but just in his own time! :robbie::robbie::robbie::devil:

It was really funny tonight - he came home from staying at my parents house and was more delighted to see the hoover than me! :devil:

it took my son ages too,he is 4 now and still in nappies at night, he also wont wipe his bum after a poo poo, i made a sticker chart for him and put it in bathroom,i also bought a large box of celebrations chocs and said he could have 1 for a wee on loo and 2 for a poo,it took hours of making him sit there[i think he was scared of leeting the poo go down toilet]. so i bought a tin of prunes and with those injection things u get with medicine i gave him few doses of the juice about 10 mins before trying him on loo- it did work cause it ensured he pooed and when he first got over the fact he can let poo go in loo- he was happy. :D