Isobel

emotional responses to grief

I lost my Golden Retriever of almost twelve years old last month. I did cry a little, but was able to keep going as normal. Then a misunderstanding between my dog trainer and myself (resolved now) caused me to have a good cry even though it wouldn't normally bother me. Then I was watching a program and someone else was talking about losing their dog of a similar age and that brought it all back again.

Do aspies have varying levels of how they cope with grief?

There's a grandfather figure looking after your dog (I hope this doesn't upset you) until it's your time to come over. I lost my collie last year and I was devestated, then I got told that my uncle who dies in 1978 is looking after her.

Your collie is out of pain now and you will meet again, althrough she will look much younger then on the earh plain. The way i cope with grief is that death is not the end, it's just like someone going into a room next door.

Love and light :)

Edited by Aura Todd

Hi Isobel,

I think aspies definitely have a different way of grieving to NT's.

My dog died two years ago and then my grandad died last November and my cat died this march. I found I didn't respond the same way anyone else seemed to and it bothered me as I thought I must have something wrong with me or be a really bad person as the death that bothered me most was my dog.

The link mandapanda has put on is amazing and you should read it as it explained to me why I feel the way I do and you might find the same thing.

I found that I was pretty slow to start grieving and that when I did I didn't even realise it. I was fine at first but then a month or so later I started having really bad nightmares and my autistic traits (especially sensory problems) were really bad and I couldn't understand why. I only realised it was grief after other people told me and even then I didn't realise how much of what I'm struggling with is actually just part of an aspies grieving process until I read mandapandas link.

Try not to judge yourself by the way others grieve and just accept your way of grieving as as valid as anyone else's.