Sign in to follow this  
brooke10

Diagnosed yesterday and happy

Hi

I would like to say hello as I was diagnosed with Aspergers yesterday and am feeling happy that I've finally got an answer to things.

I'm 36 year old woman and have developed a lot of coping mechanisms over the years and erased a lot of stuff from memory as its just painful to reflect upon so it was hard to go back over all the meltdowns and problems in my teens and 20s that I'm really ashamed of...but thanks to my my parents insight and a book called Aspergergirls by Rudy Simone my Dad and I managed to explain it at the assessment yesterday.

On the surface I know I appear quite normal but everyday is a battle. Just saying the right things is exhausting! That's probably why this is probably sounding like a jumbled mess now as I'm completely burnt out after a week of saying and acting appropriately and trying to laugh off the odd slip up...!

It will be good to read through the posts on here and get an insight into how other adults are coping with things. I'm doing good at the moment, managingmy depression and anxiety and loving being in my own home with a steady routine. And I got a cat earlier this year which was one of the best things I've ever done! Someone that is easy to understand. Wow!

Celiax

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Its good that your diagnosis has been a positive experience for you, hopefully you can move on to a new chapter in your life now. I'm still waiting for my diagnosis, but I'm hopeful it will be confirmed.

We got a dog 2 years ago, was a positive thing - he's so easy to understand, and he doesn't criticise (just barks now and then, which is annoying but predictable for a dog). People on the other hand are very unpredictable, and critical.

Its good to hang out here and share experiences with people who understand.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply and I hope that you will get your diagnosis soon. It can take several doctors before one will take you seriously as I know. I've been laughed at several times by doctors when I've tried to suggest it.

I think a diagnosis is a positive thing and yes, it will help me move forwards in life. Even if I'm a spinster forever and get eaten by alsations eventually, if not a cat!

People are very critical and I think with all the hyper sensitivity that goes with Aspergers it is very difficult to cope with. Quite frequently as part of the job I do customers/colleagues will criticise my work and I will feel like I've been kicked in the stomach. And I find it hard to deal with social conversation whereby I can't predict as much what someone is going to say...work conversation is better as it is more straight forward although laced with lots of abstract confusing stuff aswell.

Anyway, thanks again for replying. I always worry that I never say the right thing!

Celia

Hi Celia and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm very happy for you that you managed your assessment done and that your family is on your side. I understand how important your cat for you, well done for keeping it!

This is a very friendly network and I hope you'll make some friends.

looking forward to reading your posts XXX

I have been diagnosed at roughly the same age (35) but I have been thinking about this since the psychiatrist I was seeing at one point mentioned Asperger Syndrome about a year and a half ago. It is well known that adults can be harder to diagnose so it is a little frustrating that doctors can be relatively ignorant in the area but still carry on as if they know what they are talking about. Possibly it is more likely that women have more trouble as they tend to be better at covering it up. Perhaps that's what you mean when you say you appear reasonably "normal".

Thanks Tanya for your lovely reply :-)

It would be great to make some friends on here and to hear more about you? xxx

Scumble, yes I guess because I didn't know what it was for a number of years, I've developed coping strategies and can cope with a lot if not too tired. I tend to copy people and have lots of stock phrases up my sleeve. If something really confusing happens in a social situation I can go into a bit of a meltdown so I have to have a good excuse and escape!

Thanks again