Aura Todd

Do you find this happens to you?

Sometimes I remember things that happen in the past but when it comes to remembering where I put something, my mind goes blank. I find it frustrating when this happens, also sometimes I forget people's names which can be a bit embarrassing. I also have to write everything down or I end up forgetting it and I sometimes also have a short fuse.

Do you find this happens to you, is this a sign of Aspburgers? (spellcheck keeps wanting to call it hamburgers :) ) Sorry to ask.

Thanks for reading this post.

Having to list everything you need to do is supposedly related to executive function, which is just a name for whatever allows you to organise and prioritise tasks in your head. I am not that good with priorities, even when it comes to things that I actually want to do. It can be a difficulty at work and I have to rely on others for figuring out priorities some of the time.

The best thing is probably to know where you have limitations and ask for help...

It’s not a big deal if you can make friends with Tony Buzan. :)

His books about memory training and mnemonics are very simple, lots of fun to read/ learn and very effective. Try mind mapping – it works! Usually learning new skills isn’t that challenging as learning self-motivation. If you can crack the secret to you self-motivation you’d be the queen !

I generally I have quite a good long-term memory, its packed with all kinds of useful (and not so useful) stuff - however, I struggle with memory recall, and my short-term memory isn't great. If I put the effort in then I can normally remember something, I don't use a proper technique as such (I probably should learn some) - I just try and use associations, and repeat it over and over in my mind. I need to work on my recall because I'm frustrated at knowing things but not being able to recall them quickly enough, or at all. I also struggle under pressure, my brain locks up even more.

Sometimes when I'm driving I just forget how to drive for a split second, and crash a gear or try and brake with the accelerator. Sometimes I get to the till or cash machine and have completely forgotten my PIN - yet I can recall my old (useless) ones fine!? I also forget my postcode sometimes, yet I can remember every other postcode I've lived at (and the road name, house number, etc.). I don't know if its difficulty with my executive function, or just normal to forget now and then, but it is defo worse when I'm put on the spot.

I can remember all the words to a film I haven't seen for years but if I've left my wallet somewhere other than the "designated wallet leaving place", I'll spend a good hour or more hunting for it. Losing things really stresses me out too :angry: and yeah, I forget people's names, people I work with almost every day! which is pretty embarrassing at times - maybe I only remember what really interests me?

It is similar to remembering what someone was wearing when you last saw them instead of something relevant to them as a person. It is one of the things that makes it difficult to form relationships, it is difficult to engage with someone else's interests, something to do with what they call theory of mind.

I agree memory is a lot to do with what interests us. For example, my NT partner remembers things like actor's names, all the movies they've ever been in, who they were once married to, what awards they've had etc etc - things I have no interest in and don't memorise. On the other hand, I might watch a movie I love many times and will be able to recite a lot of the script word for word, something my partner is bemused by. Needless to say, his way is a lot more useful when we are discussing a movie, as my conversation is more or less just mumbling, "Oh, you know ... what's that actor's name ... what have I seen him in ..."

Edited by Gina3

I personally tend to forget what i have done when people ask me "What have you been up to" and it takes me a good minute to remember what i've done. Names is another one but in terms of memories of Important things i'm ok with that.