Sign in to follow this  
parky110

social groups

Hi, how does a person with aspergers meet other people and develop a social life, when their only interest is computer games. and the only time they go out is to work and to get shopping.there seems to be a gap in support for people like this who are able enough to go to work but not able to build a social life.Is there a network of social clubs for people with aspergers.

Hi there. The National Autistic Society has a list of support services on its website, I think you can find support groups from there. AS support groups are patchy, unfortunately, but you may get lucky. Life isn't easy when your interests aren't that shareable with others, and sometimes we have to develop other interests that can lead to a social life. Also, look for any local autistic charities and see if they have any social activities.

Another option is to try local activities. Perhaps you can try to apply for a membership in one of your local library’s reader group. I’ve managed to make a few acquaintances in my pilates class and already went to a cafeteria with one of them. Another opportunity is local volunteering activities (in local museums and parks on the weekends ), rambles and walking groups which run by volunteers . There’re might be some social activities in your local newspaper: dancing and chorus.