Sign in to follow this  
lynyona

Care Providers

Hi

I was just wondering does anyone know if there are say care agencies that have carers that come into your home that are specifically trained in autism or challenging behaviour to be able to provide personal hygiene care showering etc ..and if someone can point me in the right direction where I can find out about this or a good starting point ive no idea

we did about ?ooooo must be 4 years ago now they came out and did and assessment and said theyd be in touch soon I rang them a couple of times about it and they said they hadn't forgotten theyd be in touch soon gave it up as a bad job in the end

Hi Lynn,

I haven’t posted on the forum for years but saw your post when I visited this morning.

I hope the following information is helpful.

When writing the request for assessment it's important you include the part relating the section 47 of the NHS and community care act.

Good luck.

Nellie

Local authorities' duty to carry out a community care assessment

Local authorities have a duty to assess a person who may be in need of community care services. They may need services because of serious illness, physical disability, learning disability, mental health problems or frailty because of old age.

The local authority is obliged to carry out a community care assessment when they become aware that someone may be in need of community care services. This may mean that an assessment is offered even if you or the person you look after have not specifically requested one. Alternatively, you or the person you look after can contact your local social services department and ask them to arrange a community care assessment.

Template letter for requesting a community care assessment

You don’t have to use this letter exactly as it is. You can use it as a guide for your own letter if you like. You should send it to the director of social services at your local authority, they will probably not reply to you directly but will pass it on to the right person.

[Your address]

[Your telephone number]

Date

Dear Sir/Madam,

Community care assessment

I am writing to request an assessment of my needs under Section 47 of the NHS and Community Care Act 1990. I have [say what your diagnosis is here, if you do not have a diagnosis say what some of your difficulties are such as anxiety, depression etc]. This causes me difficulties in the following areas of my day to day life

1. .

I need the following services [state which services you need to have provided].

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name]

Use template letter as above, and give them a deadline within which to respond ie. within 14 days. If no response then lodge a formal complaint with your local authority. FInd out who you need to write to to lodge the complaint. Say in your letter to them that you want to lodge a stage one formal complaint as you wish to take it further with the local government ombudsman and again give them 14 days to respond. This should follow the council's procedures for complaints and if you are not satisfied with the outcome ie. they should assess and give you the provision your son needs from their own staff, or offer Direct Payments for you to buy in the service, then you do lodge a formal complaint with the local government ombudsman and they will look into it.

Your child has obvious care needs. And from what you have posted I can imagine your son has mobility needs too. He maybe able to walk, but will he. Does he run away, does he need constant supervision, would he be safe on his own etc.

Do you also claim Disability Living Allowance for your child, and is it the high level for care and mobility? If you don't get it then apply, if you do get it get it reviewed and submit information about the level of care they need. We had ours re-assessed recently and my son now gets high level care and mobility, and so we now get a car on the motability scheme, which has been a huge help.

Does your child have a Statement of special educational needs and do they go to a special school?

I also tried to get SS involved for years and they kept ignoring me until I followed the right complaints procedure and logged everything in writing. Then they did what they were supposed to do.

I'm at a point now where I am trying to get their services increased, and again having to follow the correct procedures for that.

Edited by Sally44

Thank you very much Nellie that information is very useful. Yes we do get dla for him low care and middle mobility .He is now 27 and he did go to a special school and only had the dx of being on the spectrum just before his 18th birthday were before he was only 9 years old I think when he got a statement of special needs .When he was younger he did use to run away if he got the opportunity but he now prefers to be in the safety of his own home where he rarely ventures out My mum moved house to years ago and he has never seen her new house.He would be unable to go out by himself as he as no sense of danger from traffic etc and if I am honest with myself he his a bit agoraphobic we wee told once to try and coax him out and let him go to the shop himself like that was going to ever happen id love it to have done but in reality an impossibility because of the anxiety he experiences of the outdoors.I will get a letter sent and see what happens it cant hurt to do so