Sign in to follow this  
MelowMeldrew

I've banned SS from attending meetings

I am wondering now to what degree will banning social services who have been found to have seriously misled the support team for my son with lies basically regarding support they haven't provided but sent letters to others saying they did. I cannot for the life of me understand why a SS dept would do this. They stated my son was receiving weekly weekend care respite when he has never done this and the area they stated confirmed to me he hasn't even been recommended to go there for weekly respite as it is a 'crisis' centre with a maximum stay of just 3 days and doesn't do weekend placements. This follows a catalog of hostility from SS who had one worker removed because frankly, he needed more help than my son did ! and my son would not interact with hi on any level. SS were forced to retract a posting made to a review claiming my son was a thug or something, because the s worker had never met him. They apologized but left it on file, obviously until they retract to match their apology we aren't current;y speaking at all as these things on file get read over the years by people who who don't know our son and will just read what they want to read. This follows other rows between my son's Consultant, and the SS who could not agree on the best form of respite to offer, in the end neither suggestions were followed up and it is a stalemate. I am convinced it is all about funding and our local Authority hasn't any. Is going to the SS ombudsman the next logical step to make a case for SS failing in their duty of care to us and our son ? Has anyone been through the process ?

As I understand the system SS have a mandatory inclusion in support care via special needs regardless if they do or not provide an actual service ? SS are now using veiled threats to not support my son's placing in an Autistic college, despite our own area has already acknowledge they cannot meet his need here. They say they won't sign any forms backing up any financial support from them. As it is they refused to help us fill in the application forms and visit the colleges too. I did these myself and the assessments are already ongoing and I have a good rapport with the college already and full support from his current school and consultant. We suggested SS butt out at present until they can get themselves sorted out. We had a 2hr family support thing of a Sunday that last year we decided with advice from the school (who have been brilliant), that this no longer addresses his need, but again SS refused listen, as we understand it if we withdraw ourselves the unnecessary support then there is no service link whatever left between the LA here and our son. We feel that is why SS want to retain that Sunday link regardless if it serves any real purpose of support. Overall we are at ground zero with the LA and SS, is going the legal route now our only option ?

Do we need SS included ? I think time to call their bluff and remove the last link to them,we have grounds it is no longer what is needed anyway. Only by exposing SS incapability can we get anything moving, I could run the system better myself frankly.

I would recommend that you lodge a formal complaint with your local authority [as SS are LA employees]. And say in that complaint that you want them to follow their complaints procedure so that you can lodge a complaint with the local governments ombudsman.

I hope you have all the evidence in writing of what has happened.

And I would not only complain to the LGO, but also ask that anything on file about your son which is incorrect is removed.

The best way to get that information is to do a Freedom of Information Act search. They may charge you £50 to copy it all. And I would get advice from somewhere like IPSEA on the wording of the request as you want all information on file on both paper and electronically [ie. on computers]. You may need to request it from Social Services and also those to whom they wrote or phoned because what I found was that records were kept on file where information was sent to. I found a number of LA departments that apparently no longer keep anything on record! So, for example, the LA had had meetings and no records kept of why the meeting was held, who attended, no minutes, no knowing of what actions were agreed and who was supposed to do them.

But as you say you think there is incorrect information on file about your son, this would be a way of seeing what is on file.

I don't know about funding for college and who pays for that. I presume the LA? What does the college say, and do you have everyone else in agreement that this is where he should go, and have they put that in writing. Again, this is quite a complex case, so I would advise speaking with IPSEA. I believe you can now book phone appointments.

Edited by Sally44