bodhi

High just joined the forum. My son (12) I think has Asperger's . I'm fighting to get an official diagnosis as I think this will help him at school. In the meantime getting him to school is becoming more and more traumatic - ANY suggestions about how to make this easier for him gratefully received. I just want a happy human and I don't know how to help right now. Thanks all :-)

Welcome Bodhi, sorry things are tough for your son at school at the moment. Has he always struggled? Does he get any support at school and do they have any suggestions for helping him?

At secondary school it is certainly helpful to have a dx and/or a statement so that support can be put in place. Good luck with that, hope things don't take too long.

~ Mel ~

Well he's always struggles but was at a small primary school and we sort of managed. Transition into a much bigger school has been the trigger that has exacerbated what we coped with before to a point where he's not really coping. The school are being sympathetic but he sort of keeps it together at school so I think this is me being a bit hysterical and it will all pass as he settles down. I know that the behaviour is worse because of transition but is still fundamentally the same as it has always been. As I said I am seeking a diagnosis - I'm making progress but just getting him to school in the morning is a massive problem and he's missed a couple of days. Sadly I can see this getting to be a lot more but I can hardly pick him up and put him in the car at his age! thanks for the support though :-)

Hello Bodhi (or whatever you prefer) :D

It's so nice to hear from you on here :D

You've shared some interesting stories about your 12 year old son and I thank you for sharing these.

I'm now 29 plus and was formally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome by a clinical psychiatrist, at the age of 7. My personal and social development has been a very long and painful process and I anticipate this continuing for many more years to come. I'm now in my final yards of a "Foundation Degree (FdA) in Travel and Tourism Management" and I can hardly tell you just how much of a struggle this course has truly been for me. It has long been with only hindsight that I have managed to work things out in life itself. Still, I may have a very high mountain to climb, but I'm now confident that I'm on the right track for reaching the very top of it :)It's now a matter of being wary and vigilant of potential hazards that can easily materialise into actual hazards. I understand that there are many hidden traps between my current spot and the very top of this very high mountain, so not only do I have to watch and tread exceptionally carefully, I have to have my wits about me at all times! There could, indeed, be any moment when I'm most suddenly forced to run for my life! :o

From my personal experience, it may be of some help to your 12 year old Aspie son if you were to request a meeting with the headteacher of his school and say that you would like a full and firm reassurance that your son will not have to live in fear of any personal exploitation or attack within the school premises. Such a meeting may be a good opportunity for you to clearly advise the headteacher (and anybody else present) of your son's excessive fears of approaching the school in the morning, as part of his special needs (apologies if I've missed the point). It may be possible for the school to get one of the staff members to look out for him on the playground, so they will be there to avert any inappropriate or unacceptable behaviour towards him. When I was a child, I use to have a passion for writing invented stories. If your son holds any interest in this, perhaps he could write some stories about his imaginary school days, how he would like things to be at school and then share them with the school staff team. In that case, the headteacher might say: "Okay, I'll see what I can do." Or if you consider the issue critical, you could even write to your MP. That sure would test the conscience of such a senior community representative.

You are more than welcome to make contact with me (by private message if you prefer it) whenever it may suit you. You can use whatever kind of language you feel comfortable with and I won't be offended, I promise.

Kind regards,

Gareth.