Sign in to follow this  
CE3K

Child diagnosed with autism

Finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that eldest grandson has been diagnosed with autism. Not sure on how to approach subject with school or grandson ( not aware ). Not sure on how I should approach subject myself as I am not sure in what is actually wrong with him. Don't have a great understanding of the meanings behind autism. Report only baffles me more, by saying one thing but not elaborating enough to explain.

He was previously diagnosed with dyslexia in 2010. We knew from the age of 5 that he was dyslexic, but couldn't get assessment for him till he was 9yrs old. Had always thought his anger was related to his frustration caused by his dyslexia. The screaming and shouting and the occasional outbursts of kicking out at things when younger, these I thought were related to his dyslexia. The scrutinising of objects from different angles I always thought was a just a kid being curious. Watching re- runs of his favourite programmes just what a normal kid would do. These and more I thought were normal and not unusual.

What changed was when his little brother got diagnosed earlier this year (2013) with Aspbergers and AD/HD. Up until then we thought and believed all he had was AD/HD, believed this from an early age..he's now 8yrs old. It was only when talking to the phychologist and him explaining to me what Aspergers was that I started to look at eldest grandsons behaviour differently. Not right away I might add, but over a short period of time. From noticing drawings on bedroom wall all being the same to strange noises he would make and of his diet, how he would only eat certain foods.

After speaking to phsychologist and asking for an assessment for grandson, told had to be through G.P. as he had finished with him, but would be happy for him to be reassessed as it was not uncommon for Aspbergers to run in other siblings. He assured me at the time that when assessment was carried out in 2010 for dyslexia that this would have/ should have picked up on anything other than his dyslexia.

Had assessment last month ( October ) and report came through this month ( November ). Must admit I was shocked when I was told he was autistic, thought there was a lot of similarities to his younger brother but a lot of differences too.

Now I have the report for nearly 3 weeks now, told results of assessment end of October and I am no where near understanding his condition and what we can do to help him understand his condition and help him in the progress.

I know what to do in terms of his brother, but for him I don't understand his needs or what we need to do or alter to attain his needs. Don't know if if explained that to well, but trying my best.

I feel, maybe wrong, but it seems this is more complex than his brothers Aspbergers and the not understanding of Autism doesn't help in us helping him.

Any suggestions on what I should do here..need advice on. Thanks.

I see that you are posting from Scotland. Check the Scottish Autism Strategy. The Autism Network Scotland should have the new "Menu of Interventions" for Autism on it. In this, among other things listed is the need for information/education etc re the implications of an ASD diagnosis. The menu is Govt policy- you could take it to eg your Gp, the Psychologist, the school - whatever is most useful. Also many projects have been funded to provide info/training for families. Ask the Autism Network people (very friendly) for contact info for people who could help you and your family. Good luck.

Aspergers and autism are eventually going to be under the same umbrella of an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. The main difference is that those with Aspergers tend to have developed language typically at least up to age 3. But as adults, someone with Aspergers and a capable person with autism would seem very similar.

All those on the spectrum have similar types of difficulties, but each person is different. So each has different levels of abilities and difficulties and each difficulty and ability is on a range.

As an example, a child with social communication difficulties [part of the criteria] could present as being loud, overbearing, controlling, uninterested, shy, withdrawn, aggressive, distressed. So from one end to the other. But they are all "difficulties". Don't know if that helps. But basically it means you have to work out what his specific difficulties in each area are. Because a child that is shy and withdrawn or who may avoid peers will need different support and therapy and teaching to a child that is loud, aggressive and controlling.

See if the NAS Scotland are holding any parent seminars. They can be really useful. Also see if you can find a parent support group.

Thanks nippy sweetie & Sally 44 for the advice. We are on the Kinship Care network for South Lanarkshire but so far it looks as if they don't do/have any support groups for parents of children with ASD. Like wise I think for Glasgow. Any support groups in South Lanarkshire that could help is too far away for travelling, especially when time restraint for schools. Have tried SW in past in hope they could point me in right direction for support but they seemed to know less than I did.

Would seem best advice I have had is from yourselves. Hopefully I will have better luck with your suggestions. Thanks again.