Sign in to follow this  
lynyona

A question for parents

I am just wondering on a parents point of view is on obsessions with gaming a good thing or a bad thing and could you share your views and experiences with me .My son is 27 and his world is gaming mainly xbox 360 I don't know if I still don't understand the autistic mind but as much as he loves his gaming I cannot understand why he gets so angry with them shouting at the tv repeatedly to a point where I want to smash the xbox into pieces...you could understand it if he were losing but he does it when he is winning and he thinks its some conspiracy that he isn't allowed to play a specific game and the usual response is "take the cheats out"! ring ring why make games that your not allowed to play them and given the fact that he also has slight hearing loss this is very loud in a monotone drone. And Yes ive tried turnin the tv off telling him to play something else only leading to meltdown I don't think I ll ever get it and he always seems to be angry about everything

Hi lynyona, it sounds like this is a serious problem for your son. It sounds as if he has an addiction to gaming and a compulsion to continue come what may. I think it is very unhealthy and damaging and I don't know how practical it would be to try to wean him off of it so that he is spending less time gaming and more time doing other things? How many hours a day is he gaming and does he have other interests or places to go and things to do as well?

My own son is 20 now and has a tendency to become addicted to the computer if I didn't try to keep it under control. He uses the computer at set times and if he is on too long I get him to come off, even if it makes him cross. I know it's very difficult, my son has nowhere to go and no friends and is out of education and work, but I am trying to get him interested in other things like drawing to take up some more of his time and do try to get him out for walks most days if I can just to get some fresh air and stretch his legs.

I think these games do make people almost manic and so obsessed that they can become frantic whilst in the clutches of them. I know that sounds dramatic but I think it can lead to serious problems. Of course, kept under control, gaming can also be a source of relaxation and escapism, but it's keeping the balance healthy without letting it become out of hand that is the key, imo.

~ Mel ~

Thank you for your reply I do totally agree with what your saying but it is difficult ,,he doesn't ever leave the house he as a friend that comes and stays sometimes who he was at school with...he likes to watch sky sports news its just a organised loop if he wasn't on his xbox he d go upstairs on his ps 3 he does have a keen interest in steam trains and will watch his dvds now and again .....we have no input from anywhere with him so we just fly solo and make the best of a bad situation which I always liken to the film groundhog day

Hi lynyona

oxgirl is right in what she says, however our experience has been very different.

People thought my son was addicted to computers (even my husband thought that). He didn't go to school for 4 1/2 years and was really really pale and skinny. Eventually he was taken to hospital. There was no internet allowed there at all. We thought he would go ballistic, but actually he coped really well. When there have been power cuts, or when we've had electric work done, he has been fine doing something else.

Yes it's all he wants to do, but not because he is addicted, but because it is all he wants to do!!

The other thing is our older son went through a phase of always sounding angry. Actually he wasn't and didn't think he sounded angry and couldn't understand why we got cross with him.

Would he go out to see some steam trains? We found the only way to get our youngest out was for it to be something he was REALLY interested in (he came all the way up to London on the train and underground to the Science Museum. Unfortunately it was a big letdown as he wanted to see stuff about future science, not just old medical devices, and 'interactive' screens.

Have you talked to him about keeping healthy, eating well and getting exercise - would he walk round the block with you?

Good luck.

Good luck.

My 14 year old loves online roblox and mario games on the wii and he gets shouty as well particularly when he can't beat the machine.He gets quite aggressive, so I make him, turn them off for 2 hours or more to calm down, even though he is abusive and exploding at me, no viloence, just temper tantrum. Then he has to earn it back by showing he can be calm and excepting for what ever result.When his volume goes up I give the alternative of the off button, he knows it can happen, so his volume goes down again.