Sign in to follow this  
Fluffy

Trauma, Psychedelics and Oxytocin

How do strategies to overcome traumatic life experiences differ for aspies over NT's? Any aspies like to share what worked for them?

I have not gone down the route of traditional medication yet and am trying alternative methods first, such as the following:

Meditation (Mantra and mindfullness)

Exercise (Long walks mostly)

Food (Raw healthy food in a vitamix - difficult to maintain I must admit)

Has anyone tried psychodelics (e.g. psilocybin mushrooms; DMT (Ayahuasca)) to treat the symptoms? What was your experience and how did it affect you afterwards?

Right now I'm considering trying Ayahuasca (going to Peru) and Oxytocin but would like to see if anyone has tried them and what their experience was?

I don't think any of the parents of people with ASD will have tried psychedelics for their kids - can't speak for any other aspies other than myself, but I think hallucinogens are a bad idea. People with ASD tend to have stronger anxiety and less coping skills when it comes to drugs other than maybe weed - I wouldn't recommend it.

I did try hypnosis to help me move past an event that I was focussing on. It did help, actually. Worth a try and better than taking mind-altering drugs, I would have thought.

~ Mel ~

I would attempt a book called "PTSD for dummies" as it has helped me make sense of my trauma.

Also I am considering EMDR for my trauma but unsure if the NHS will help.

I have heard good things about Oxytocin.

Hi, I have tried Oxytocin Nasal Spray on a few occasions over the last few weeks - the effects for me were very subtle but also quite significant. I didn't feel much different but peoples faces looked less threatening and angry and I felt less anxious in the supermarket where I tried it out. Also the interaction with my partner was much easier. The effects didn´t last long - maybe 30 mins. And yes I know you shouldn´t have it without a prescription - which I know I wouldn´t get in the UK . To be fair its not something I´d want to continue using - its difficult to get hold of, expensive and the results where very short lived.