Pugwash

Am I or aren't I

Hi everyone. Thought I would join up as I have hsd my suspicions as to whether I have Aspergers or not. Not sure I want an official diagnosis as I don't want it to affect my career but I've put together so fors and againsts so let me know what you think...

For

hate small talk, can't read people, gullible, certain noises irritate me, need repitition/order, bore people to death with my in depth analysis of my favourite subjects, walk a bit funny, monotone voice, lose contact with friends easily, everything black and white, quite bright, often say the wrong thing... I expect there's more...

Against

I can just about hold down a relationship, I have a really good job, bright lights don't bother me, I can force myself to look people in the eye (well nose but it's close, I get irony... and I'm sure there's others too....

So what do you think? What else should I be looking for?

TIA...

Hi there, nice to meet you :). Have you tried doing an online test?

I'm no psychiatrist but I've read that if you think you have Aspergers then it's most likely that you do!

Everyone has traits of autism but it's the degree of how extreme they are as to whether you are classed as on the "autism spectrum". Seems like you do face some difficulties common to that of Aspergers.

With regards to a diagnosis I think it's a very positive thing on a personal level as I am a lot more forgiving of myself and it's also helped my family and friends be more understanding and forgiving. I would never tell an employer as I think it would just create prejudice toward me - unfortunately I think people in general assume that anything to do with mental difficulties means "stupid" and "weird".

Hope that helps :)

Hi there, nice to meet you :). Have you tried doing an online test?

I'm no psychiatrist but I've read that if you think you have Aspergers then it's most likely that you do!

Everyone has traits of autism but it's the degree of how extreme they are as to whether you are classed as on the "autism spectrum". Seems like you do face some difficulties common to that of Aspergers.

With regards to a diagnosis I think it's a very positive thing on a personal level as I am a lot more forgiving of myself and it's also helped my family and friends be more understanding and forgiving. I would never tell an employer as I think it would just create prejudice toward me - unfortunately I think people in general assume that anything to do with mental difficulties means "stupid" and "weird".

Hope that helps :)

Hello Pugwash,

When I read your post, I thought "That's my partner!". Now this won't help you because he is undiagnosed but I'm sure he has some level of autism, my having looked at the on-line questionnaire and read so many posts here.

Can I suggest you have a go at doing it? It is completely anonymous and will help you understand those aspects that you feel make you a bit different.

If you ARE my partner, thank you and well done for at last addressing the problem. It might just save us!

Thank you for your responses...

I have done an online test and it did suggest I may have Asperger's. Because I am a contractor though, I do not have Employee's rights which is why I would be reluctant to have an 'official' diagnosis...

I do excel in certain situations that are well rehearsed such as job interviews.... up until they ask a personal question such as 'which football team do you support' at which point it goes a bit wrong!

Also, not sure I'd know what to do with an 'official' diagnosis as I think it'll be easy to blame Asperger's for this and that and the suggestion is that there's nothing that could be done about it if I have it anyway!

Still, it's bitter sweet as despite it being a real PITA in social situations, I don't think I would have done so well in my career without it!!!

Absolutely agree. I don't think it should be used as an excuse, it's like being left handed but in our thinking. We just have to adapt a bit and sometimes try harder to get on in everyday situations as our brains work a little differently to 'normal' people.

My advice would be that if you can see no benefit from getting a formal diagnosis then don't get one. Employers rights or not..as far as I'm concerned if people in the workplace perceive any weakness then they'll use it against you somehow. Plus I don't want to be treated any differently and it also makes me good at my job!

As far as family and friends knowing they just give me a bit of leeway if I don't say the right thing or have to leave a social situation because it's too overwhelming.

They're starting to talk about it more in the media which is good but until they show it in more of a positive light I don't think it is something that I would freely tell people.

Absolutely agree. I don't think it should be used as an excuse, it's like being left handed but in our thinking. We just have to adapt a bit and sometimes try harder to get on in everyday situations as our brains work a little differently to 'normal' people.

My advice would be that if you can see no benefit from getting a formal diagnosis then don't get one. Employers rights or not..as far as I'm concerned if people in the workplace perceive any weakness then they'll use it against you somehow. Plus I don't want to be treated any differently and it also makes me good at my job!

As far as family and friends knowing they just give me a bit of leeway if I don't say the right thing or have to leave a social situation because it's too overwhelming.

They're starting to talk about it more in the media which is good but until they show it in more of a positive light I don't think it is something that I would freely tell people.