Sign in to follow this  
rascal

early intervention

does anyone know if early intervention is compulsory as i would like to throe them out the woman they sent is doing my head in and doesnt listen please help

Hi I am not quite sure what early intervention is, is it pre or post diagnosis? I would say if it is something that is part of a "tick box" process for diagnosis or even for further help then try stick with it.

I had parent support classes prior to my sons' being diagnosed. I had recently left their dad and with four boys under age 7 to look after I did need some support. The lady reduced the sessions as she did not feel I needed them. Whilst it did not help with my ASD boys it did help with my eldest son.

It is about what you make it, forget about the person but focus on what they are offering/saying. It is beneficial in the long run that you work with whatever has been suggested so they cannot deny you are not trying.

Hey,

You still struggling with this? I'm probably too late to respond to your specific question - sorry - I'm new to the site - but just wanted to send a message to say that its not good if you don't feel she is listening to you. Everyone with autism is different, and if she doesn't listen, she might not have the right answer for your family - one size doesn't fit everyone. I've had a few experiences of that over the last few years, and often if it isn't the persons fault - sometimes they haven't had enough experience to understand what you are telling them, or, like at the school, they have 400 other kids to deal with.

But you're the one who suffers if it's not right. A couple of times, I've ended up going over their heads and dealing with their manager - you might not need to make a formal complaint, but if you don't have the name of her manager, often organisations have a complaints procedure. It would tell you who you could speak to. I'm sure they would be happy for you to pick up the phone and talk things through with them. Mostly I've found that their hearts are in the right place.

Don't lose hope.

JFTB