JeanneA

Time of Year?

Hi guys, just wondered if any of you notices a change in your child/young persons behaviour at this time of year? Glen who had previously been so happy and settled in his new care home since May 2013, is now going through an extremely bad spell since Christmas. He has been very aggressive, hitting himself and staff, refusing to get out of bed, refusing baths, not wanting to take his pjs off.

However staff have managed to persuade him to have a bath most days and have said to him if he gets dressed he can go out which is starting to happen over the last week. Clearly though Glen remains unsettled and we've been asked not to visit him whilst he's like this which I'm finding very hard as I haven't seen Glen since Boxing Day.

This time if the year has always been very difficult in the past so I'm not surprised as to what is happening but had hoped as he is in the best care home of all the ones he's been in that he wouldn't have been so unsettled during this winter period. I would like to hear your views especially if anyone can relate to what I'm saying.

Edited by JeanneA

I tend to be worse during the winter partly due to a D3 deficiency and partly due to pain. I am very poor at communicating

that I am in pain or managing to do something about it. Most challenging behaviour in autism is caused by hidden pain

according to John Clements.

Hi trekster thanks very much for your reply it has helped me. I totally agree that most challenging behaviour in autism is due to hidden pain. I spoke to the manager earlier and she Glen clearly is unable to cope well at the moment so no demands are put on him. He is slowly improving, he has stopped hitting himself whilst out and is accepting that he has to get dressed before going out. Slowly but surely I guess. :-)

Excellent attitude, if you work on a principle of 'no achievement too small' you cant go wrong :-)

Thanks Trekster. I may be going to see Glen on Sunday for a very short visit depending on how the week goes. Glen's main carer is going to keep me updated.

I think I spoke to soon when I said Glen was a little better. As I've just found out at lunch time Glen started hitting himself which he does at meal times and it suddenly escalated very quickly and Glen's main carer got hurt, she went to A&E once a replacement staff member came to take over from her. I've been in touch with the manager and Glen's carer may have a broken finger, she's waiting to hear. After the incident Glen got over it very quickly, was calm finished his lunch and later went out for a drive it was as if nothing had happened and there has been no other incidents. That's how it was in the past when he lived at home after a very aggressive spell, Glen would just go back 'to normal' again. I await to hear how Glen's carer is.

I heard from the care home manager last night and glen's carer has a broken finger and a fractured hand. I feel so bad for her, :( I feel it's my fault although I know it isn't. I don't know how long she will be off for. The manager is going to contact me today. Not sure if I will still be visiting Sunday or not now.

Edited by trekster

I hope you manage to find a peaceful resolution, is he going through puberty and growth spurts? I cant remember how old Glenn is.

Hi Trekster, I haven't heard from the manager yet. Glen is 20 in April, he certainly has had growth spurts and has been going through puberty but not sure at nearly 20 this would still be happening?

I did go to see Glen today, just a very short visit as agreed with the manager. When I arrived Glen was still out on a drive with one of the carer's. Glen and the carer Petra came back, I said hello to Glen he looked very anxious at me, thankfully no bruises on his face as I thought he might have due to him hitting himself a lot lately. Glen started hitting his face when he saw me and went straight upstairs and I didn't see him again. I felt a bit sad, but to be honest I wasn't sure I would see him at all as I thought he would probably be in his room.

Another carer, Pam told me not to worry that Glen would get through this phase, she said he wants to be left alone at the moment and will only tolerate drives out, occasional walks then returns to his bedroom. Pam said Glen was better than he was, but he isn't doing any smiling at the moment! Pam was working at the home yesterday and today.

The manager contacted a behavioural therapist who came on Friday to spend time with Glen and went out with him, which is good to hear. The manager was obviously concerned about Glen's behaviour, they think that Glen is going through a depressive phase which isn't uncommon this time of the year for him. It will just take time, the therapist will be making regular visits.

Edited by JeanneA

Hi Lisa, with Glen it is hard to tell if his eye could be niggling him, but the doctor did prescribe the anti-biotic drops which he has had before so he is having those now. His main appointment at the hospital has come through for the 10th of March. A thorough examination will be undertaking then so we will find out if there are any problems with his eye.

That is good his eye will be checked. I too, don't know what bothers my son, the first things I do are check for any pain, ie. toenails, finger nails, insect bites, mouth ulcers, foot blisters, etc even an itchy head could start him off! My son is also anxious at the moment and your guess is as good as mine! Fingers crossed it all ceases and they can go back to being happy once again, xx

Hi lisa yes I do hope both our sons go back to normal soon but I do from past experience that for a couple of months after Christmas has always been a difficult time for Glen and for a lot of autistic youngsters. I do hope the next time I see Glen he will be more like his 'old self' again.